Anyone know a compact router with USB power supply ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all.

I have a couple of small ethernet switches that I use for commisioning. They are really handy because they are small and crucially dont need a power supply, all they need is a short USB cable to get the power from a PC. They are the size of a deck of cards.

Now I find that I want a router instead of just a switch.
But I dread to have to lug a power supply around, AND to have to find an outlet locally every time I need to use the router.

Therefore, do someone know if a similar neat compact router, one that gets its power from a USB cable and NOT from an AC adapter ?

Thanks hangin.

But I dont want battery powered.
And I dont need a 3G/4G Router, or WiFi. Just a 'regular' wired router.
WiFi could be a neat extra, but is not a must.

Do you need a router or a switch? Amazon has USB powered switches.

If you look for one with a 5v supply, you could make an adapter for it. Weird, routers are used before the PC, not after.

@PLC Kid.
Unfortunately that is a bit TOO compact. I need it to have at least 3 switched RJ45 ports on the LAN side. And 1 RJ45 on the routed side.

@tomalbright.
I already have a USB powered switch.
I need it to be a router.

It is used for when I do commisioning onsite, and I dont have power outlet nearby.
The japanese one would be perfect, has everything, but you need to know japanese !
o_O

edit: If you are trying to figure out exactly the application, then I cant explain it because it has to be a jack-of-all-trades. In many cases a switch is enough. In some cases I need the routing function.

Last edited:
Tom, thanks a lot for the tip.
No, that the other router speaks japanese only and is only sold in Japan is a bit of a stumpling block. But the japanese one does have 4 RJ45 ports via an integral switch. The Zyxel one only has 1 RJ45 LAN and 1 RJ45 WAN ports.
I will try to find a local supplier of the Zyxel router and maybe give it a go.