old or new ?

Kataeb

Hy sirs, when we have old obsolete hardware on our machine, we have two solutions, first to get spare parts for the old items, or, second to update the hardware to new systems. The cost and delivery time are better on the first one, while the second has other advantages. Which solution is the best? I need your experienced advice on this subject. Thank you

In my opinion it is time to upgrade. In the long run you will probably save money. If you dont you will always be doing a patch job.

It can also a good time to improve your process if you can identify issues with previous system.

my 2 cents.

Things like this always depend on the details.
Tell us more about the equipment that needs replaced, the equipment you might replace it with, the expected life of the machine, the reliability of the equipment to this point, etc, etc, etc.

Things like this always depend on the details.
Tell us more about the equipment that needs replaced, the equipment you might replace it with, the expected life of the machine, the reliability of the equipment to this point, etc, etc, etc.

the equipment to be replaced is electronic cards, which calculate the diameter of unwinding rolls and includes also a pid, they are working ok since decades, but now we have 3 damaged units. i intend to replace it by a software solution using an already installed new plc and hmi. the machine should keep on running for at least ten years.

I agree with Damian on this one.
Retrofits are never quite as simple as they appear on the surface. They can often be justified but it takes an analysis of the issues and benefits to decide that.

the equipment to be replaced is electronic cards, which calculate the diameter of unwinding rolls and includes also a pid, they are working ok since decades, but now we have 3 damaged units. i intend to replace it by a software solution using an already installed new plc and hmi. the machine should keep on running for at least ten years.

From what little you have told us, I would bite the bullet and replace. If you feel comfortable integrating it into you PLC system then why not.

There are many products out there very reasonably priced for PID based unwinding applications. Here are a couple I have used.

http://www.montalvo.com/products/tension-and-torque-controllers/

http://magpowr.maxcessintl.com/tension-control/tension-and-torque-controls

You can weight this against the cost of your own time to develop.