What is the use of "parameter"

I haven't had much to do with RSView32, only FactoryTalk View, but I'm pretty sure they are used similarly.

Parameters are like placeholders.

It gives you the ability to make, for example, one popup screen for starting/stopping several different motors via parameter files.

Depending on which motor you click on in the overview, it opens up the same popup screen but using different parameter files to link to each motors correct tags.

Consider this scenario:

You have 2 motors, Motor1, and Motor2.

You have made a simple popup screen "Motor Popup" with two buttons, Start, and Stop.

Start button is linked to placeholder/parameter #1.

Stop button is linked to parameter #2.

You create a parameter file called "Motor1_Parameters" and define parameter #1 to the tag in your PLC used to start the motor, and parameter #2 to the PLC tag used to stop the motor.

You also create another parameter file called "Motor2_Parameters" linking to the correct PLC tags for starting and stopping Motor2.

Now create a goto display button for Motor1 to bring up the screen "Motor Popup", but tell it to use parameter file "Motor1_Parameters".

When the popup screen opens, the buttons are linked to the correct tags you defined in the parameter file.

This allows you to bring up the same "Motor Popup" screen, but using the parameter file "Motor2_Parameters" to now also control Motor2.

You can use this one popup screen to control 100 different motors, as long as you have created a separate parameter file for each motor defining the correct tags to write to.

I'm at home and don't have the software in front of me at the moment so someone else might be able to explain it a little better, but hope it puts you on the right track.

Last edited: