updating hardware configuration - siemens

Wilso

First, I have to state that I am NOT an engineer. I'm just a garden variety industrial electrician who has been in the game for a long time.

The simple question. We have an S7 safety PLC. One of the input cards has been superceded by a newer version. Should the need arise to replace one of the old ones with a new one, will it require the hardware configuration to be updated?

If so, how is it done. I seem to be able to "see" what ever data I desire, but can't actually find a function that would let me alter the Order Number.

Cheers

If the cards are the same type but only a revision change then the newer card should be interchangable with the older card without any change in the hardware config but any new features would be unavailable. If the new card is a different type then you would need to change and download the hardware config. To replace a card in the hardware config, right click on the card and select the replace option; you should then see a list of parts from your hardware catalogue that can replace the card in question.

After changing the hardware you should do a "save and compile" and then download the new hardware config.

Nick

this may not be easy if it is a safety PLC card.
the standrd step7 software won't talk to the safety section.
AND
the safety plc program is passworded

If it's the same type but new revision - it will work. Could You post existing and new card MFLB order numbers ?