Powerflex ethernet

papa9571

I have a Control Logix system communicating via ethernet with 8 Powerflex 40 drives. This afternoon the port light on drive two started blinking red. Thinking this was the beginning of a comm module failing I swapped it with a known good module and received the same results. I placed the suspect comm module on a known good drive and the module started working. Checking the variables using drive explorer for the drive show it set up as a single drive and using address 100. The Drives, HMI, and PLC are communicting thru a AB Stratix 8000 managed switch. Is there something I may have missed or am I looking at replacing the drive?

Last edited:
I have a Control Logix system communicating via ethernet with 8 Powerflex 40 drives. This afternoon the port light on drive two started blinking red. Thinking this was the beginning of a comm module failing I swapped it with a known good module and received the same results. I placed the suspect comm module on a known good drive and the module started working. Checking the variables using drive explorer for the drive show it set up as a single drive and using address 100. The Drives, HMI, and PLC are communicting thru a AB Stratix 8000 managed switch. Is there something I may have missed or am I looking at replacing the drive?

Welcome to the Forum!

The Port LED indicates a DPI Communications problem. Look at the DPI Cable from the 22-COMM-E and the PF40 Drive. Look for a damaged Cable or Connector on the Drive, as the connections are quite fragile. Try swapping the Cables between a good Drive, and the problem Drive.

I assume you have gone through the Manual Troubleshooting in the 22-COMM-E Manual? It should be on Page 8-2 of this Manual;

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22comm-um004_-en-p.pdf

If none of these steps resolves the issue, I would try hooking up a spare PF40 Drive, and see if the problem goes away. It is possible there is something wrong with the DPI Communications on the problem Drive.

Stu....

There have also been glitches and quirks and accompanying firmware enhancements concerning the DPI to adapter connection on many of the Allen Bradley Powerflex drives, so it would also be wise to research that at the "knowbase" using your VFD reported FRN.

With the PF700, we experienced issues with cables picking up noise, and had to replace several of those ribbon cables and alter the route a little bit (move the fold down about 1/2" IIRC), so yes, look at the ribbon cables closely.

Your network may require IGMP snooping and be enabled in the managed switch as well.

Last edited:
Did the drive stop with a fault code ?

The 22-COMM-E is a DSI device, not DPI. It's significantly slower but in my experience a little bit more robust (when in Single-Drive Mode) than DPI has been.

Since you have a Stratix 8000 switch, you can check the actual port to which the 22-COMM-E is connected to see if there are media-level errors occurring.

A flashing red PORT indicator does suggest that the problem is between the drive and the 22-COMM-E.

Check the earth ground of the drive, and check the lower-left screw (for Frame C) or the two mounting screws for the carrier (Frame B) to be sure they are snug. Those ground the Ethernet adapter board.

Last edited:
[qoute]
The 22-COMM-E is a DSI device, not DPI. It's significantly slower but in my experience a little bit more robust (when in Single-Drive Mode) than DPI has been.
[/quote]

Oops, I did misread that. I am not sure how I came up with DPI. Thanks for the correction Ken.

Stu....