PLC-2 communication with PLC-5

nightline

Gents,

In one of our factories, we have 4 machines with A-B PLC-2/15.
Within about a year all these machine will be replaced, but for the time being I've to create a solution for data aquisition.
I've a PLC-5/40 with EthernetCard spare, and like use this one for communication with all PLC-2's.
As I'm not very familiar with PLC-2 I like to know if this is possible, and how?
Can a I create a DH(+) network, and let all PLC's talk together, or do I need a communication card in the PLC-5 rack like a 1785-KA3.
All the PLC-2 rack's are full, and so we have to use the programming port.

Or can I use a Prosoft 5201-DFNT-DH485 serial to EthernetIP Gateway?

Thanks for your support in advance!

Jack

Last edited:
All the PLC-2 rack's are full, and so we have to use the programming port.
A PLC-2 programming port will not give you either Ehternet or DH+. At best it allows RS232 communications or the AB comm protocol "RIO". To get DH+ with the PLC-2 required use of a comm module inserted into one of the slots, 1771-KA2, 1771-KP2 or similar.

I agree that the 1785-KA3 is probably the most straightforward way to let your PLC-5/40 controller read and write from PLC-2 data tables.

You'll need to find an empty slot to place it into. The slot could be in a nearby I/O rack... the 1785-KA3 only gets power from the backplane, and talks to the PLC-2 controller using the front port.

You could install any size 1771 I/O chassis with a power supply in order to power these modules, too.

What is the default protocol of the programming port of a PLC-2?
Is a PLC-2 rack the same as a PLC-5 rack? ( I've a lot of PLC-5 racks spare ).

The PLC-2 front port signalling and protocol are unique to the PLC-2; it's not really "DF1" or "DH+". You need a converter to connect it to anything but an old A-B programming terminal.

The 1771 series chassis were used extensively for PLC-2, PLC-5, and 1771 I/O systems.

In general, PLC-2 family processors need PLC-2 family power supplies but can use any 1771 chassis.

In general, I/O adapters and PLC-5 controllers use the same power supplies and can use any 1771 I/O chassis that is "Series B" or later.

There are exceptions to both of these rules, but only for very old hardware (1984 and older).

Great info Ken!

Do you have experience with a 1785-KA3 module?
If I got the right information, this unit should talk to the programming port of an PLC-2.
Is this right?

Jack