RSLogix 5000 MVI56 troubles

DennisCotten

I built a program that is using a prosoft mvi56 card to talk modbus to
a flow meter of some sort. While installing prosoft software for other equipment, my mvi56 card turned into a (unknown) card in my I/O configuration. I go to re-install the drivers for the card and the file says its an rsview32 data file and now I can't get the card back into the program or even onto my laptop. I'm really stuck and really pressed for time as well. If someone has any ideas I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

I built a program that is using a prosoft mvi56 card to talk modbus to
a flow meter of some sort. While installing prosoft software for other equipment, my mvi56 card turned into a (unknown) card in my I/O configuration. I go to re-install the drivers for the card and the file says its an rsview32 data file and now I can't get the card back into the program or even onto my laptop. I'm really stuck and really pressed for time as well. If someone has any ideas I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

Which exact Model of MVI56 Card is it?

You usually install it in the I/O Tree as a Generic Card.

The Software is just for Configuration of the Card Operation.

Stu....

i'm not quite sure the exact model, all I have on my drawings is MVI56.

its the MCM, that is the most I know.

Well, if you don't know what Model it is, you are in for no end of problems. Knowing the Model Number is kind of important, there are several Models of the MVI56 Modbus Cards.

ProSoft have good support, but you are into the weekend now. I will assume for now that you have an MVI56-MCM, but you really need to nail that detail down.

I am having issues with the ProSoft Web Site tonight, you can find it at;

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/

They do have Knowledgebase, Manuals, Configuration Programs, and Ladder Examples etc.

Edit:

I managed to get ProSoft's Web Page to respond. The current model is the MVI56E-MCM, which superceds the MVI56-MCM.

MVI56-MCM Support Page:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/2717

Stu....

Last edited:
What revision of RSLogix 5000 are you using ?

It's been about three years since I used MVI56-MCM or MVI56E-MCM modules.

I've never seen a MVI module use anything but a Generic I/O Module connection in RSLogix 5000.

There shouldn't be "drivers" for the module. I wonder if you're looking at the CIP routing "drivers" that allow you to configure the module via the ControlLogix backplane, rather than directly over Ethernet or serial.

There might be an Add-On Instruction (AOI), that goes along with sample code, but I don't think there is a Module Profile.

Some Prosoft modules use the Prosoft Configuration Builder, but I've always just used the Sample Code with the 1756 modules.

I'll bet that while installing Prosoft Configuration Builder, something went wrong with the EDS registration and you're seeing a different icon or identity in RSLinx Classic's RSWho browse.

The most important thing right now is to find out if you're using a classic MVI56-MCM or a newer MVI56E-MCM. It ought to be on the module sticker.

Last edited:
Ken Roach

Everything from what you are saying seems to be on par with the problem i'm having. As far as I can tell it is the MVI56E-MCM being as it is a brand new facility. The engineering company doesn't usually give all the little details like that. I am seeing a different icon for the ESD registration, its for RSView 32 Event Log. I did find an add on instruction for it from prosoft. And it is version 19.01.

Last edited: