Wonderware - Maximum number of tags reached

Good Day Guys,

We have a 3 stand alone wonderware project, that has to be merge into 1 stand alone project, Our problem now is that the Total Tag Count of 3 Stand Alone WW app is above the maximum limit which is 61402 tags, do we need to upgrade to archestra or WonderWare offers additional license for Tag count expansion
(I mean additional tag counts) .

Thank You and Regards!

I believe after 60K tags your option is for "Unlimited Tag Count", give WonderWare ring and make the upgrade!

If you have the option to upgrade to ArchestrA then I'd recommend that.

You'd have some re-engineering to do, but ArchestrA offers a lot more flexibility and functionality.

Definitely contact you local WW representative.

If you have the option to upgrade to ArchestrA then I'd recommend that.

You'd have some re-engineering to do, but ArchestrA offers a lot more flexibility and functionality.

Definitely contact you local WW representative.

Oakley,
If you don't mind me asking,
I use Intouch windowmaker and windowviewer at my plant. What exactly does Archestra do and how does it help ?

Sir, we have 100,000 tags, over all. its a huge plant

Meanwhile I'm stuck with a stand alone 64 tags license. 🔨

Last edited:
I guess I have to question "Has to be merge". You already know the downside, what is the perceived benefit of merging?

I've had a single plant that exceeded the max tag count, so we split the application in two and used two I/O servers. Later expansions caused us to hit the max tag count again, and we split to four I/O servers. The limit is for InTouch. Any one InTouch application has the limit, but that doesn't mean your plant has to fit in that limit.

In the example I worked on, we ended up with four I/O servers to handle 9 lines. The I/O servers were where the tag limit mattered in our case. The clients used remote references and had very low tag counts. The clients could access all four I/O servers.

We did have to manage several InTouch applications, which complicated matters. But it was workable.

Oakley,
If you don't mind me asking,
I use Intouch windowmaker and windowviewer at my plant. What exactly does Archestra do and how does it help ?

Meanwhile I'm stuck with a stand alone 64 tags license. 🔨

ArchestrA is object based and has a Integrated Development Environment. It makes it alot easier to develop new gear for your plant. Where one would normally use Smartsymbols all symbols are now contained in the object. It has a parent-child hierarchy that shows derivation of the objects.

You can still use smartsymbols with the objects or do away with them completely. Automatic referencing is made easy. High Level Diagnostics standard as part of object viewer.

You can even convert your current application and use it within system platform.

64k Is the maximum Intouch Count but with System Platform you can go much much higher than 64k. I recall a system where we at 150k+.

Last edited:
ArchestrA is object based and has a Integrated Development Environment. It makes it alot easier to develop new gear for your plant. Where one would normally use Smartsymbols all symbols are now contained in the object. It has a parent-child hierarchy that shows derivation of the objects.

You can still use smartsymbols with the objects or do away with them completely. Automatic referencing is made easy. High Level Diagnostics standard as part of object viewer.

You can even convert your current application and use it within system platform.

64k Is the maximum Intouch Count but with System Platform you can go much much higher than 64k. I recall a system where we at 150k+.

Galaxy??

Sir, how about our Stand Alone applications? can we just import it into the SystemPlatform? how about the tags?

Thanks!

The only benefit i see of doing this is if you intend on going over to object based symbols and a full blow ArchestrA system. otherwise i would keep it an intouch stand alone. Can you explain why you need to merge the projects. You might be able to look at application managment if it is for the operators?

Can you elaborate a bit more.

We have three stand alone applications ("HVAC","ELECTRICAL" and "MAIN") our client wants us to put it into 1 application. where in we can navigate all the 3 areas.

wonderware has given us credit for old licenses when upgrading in the past. you may want to talk with them about your project and ask them about letting you trade in the old licenses toward the new license.

If it were me, I would get away from wonderware. The support is terrible(along with the price of it) and the licensing is from the 80's, along with most of the technology.

Another advantage of ArchestrA is that with a galaxy of objects, you can have multiple managed InTouch apps. Say a specific application for one area, and a totally different application for another. Additionally, since you can create object symbols within the object template, you have have consistent graphics between the applications.

Speaking of the graphics ... this would be one stop shopping for the object graphics.

Example: if you have an analog device template, you could use the analog graphic in the template everywhere you have an analog device. Now lets say you want to add a button on the faceplate of the analog device to pull up a trend of the object from the historian. Change the template and deploy. That's it. No need to go through the entire application and change every instance to add this functionality.

Additionally, if you are using WW Historian, one nice feature is store and forward. If your historian goes off line for any reason, the AOS (Application Object Server) will store the data until the historian is available, then push the data to it.

If it were me, I would get away from wonderware. The support is terrible(along with the price of it) and the licensing is from the 80's, along with most of the technology.

I have always had excellent support and many channels of support right up to the development team, their Support website is also better than most. I would however be interested to know why you would say the technology is from the 80's?

Care to elaborate?

Personally i think System Platform is ahead of their peers.

My 2 cents.

R