Timing enabled outputs

AppEng

Hi all,
Currently my company has 7 machines. If the machine does not see a part on the conveyor for a specified amount of time it sets off an alarm. First a light is turned on, then an audible alarm. However, one of our lineworkers removed the faceplate to the speaker and disconnected the power line on 5/7 machines....I guess he didn't like the noise too much ;)

Our machines use Allen Bradley 1400's with RSLogix 500, and are connected to a proface HMI. What I would like to do is monitor what time and for how long the audible alarm was enabled. Then send this to the HMI, which can email me this information.

Would this be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
However, one of our lineworkers removed the faceplate to the speaker and disconnected the power line on 5/7 machines....I guess he didn't like the noise too much.
No one would. Put yourself in the lineworkers place for a day. How would you feel and react after 1000 horn squawks? One improvement is to not ever turn on the horn continuously. Instead, pulse it on 0.6 seconds, then off 1 second and repeat. You will be amazed at how much this improves everyone's ability to withstand the racket.

Dmargineau, Thank you very much. I will definitely look into that!

Lancie1, The alarm is already pulsed not constant. The longer it isn't turned off the shorter the intervals get.

Lancie1, The alarm is already pulsed not constant. The longer it isn't turned off the shorter the intervals get.
I guess now after the disconnect, that the interval is so short that it can't be heard at all!

I would not like the incrementing noise that creates extra stress to get to the off (acknowledge) button - it is better to keep the interval the same length, with a longer off time than the on time. If you think you have to have the changing intervals, then reverse the action, start out with a short interval, then make it slowly get longer. After all, once the worker hears it, he knows what it sounds like so you don't have to keep reminding him at short intervals. Make them longer instead, which gives the operator some credit for being an intelligent being instead of a dog.

Last edited: