RSLogix 500 Documentation

tomneth

Hello Everyone. I'm having a little problem getting the documentation database connected with the .rss file on a SLC 5/04 PLC with the RSLogix 500 software. I have a fully documented version of the program from a few years ago but I fear changes might have been made so I'm trying to get the documentation connected to the current program version. What they've been using recently is just the .RSS file so I copied it to a diskette and imported the documentation to it. There were no errors that I know of and then I uploaded what was in the SLC to make sure it was the latest. At that point I lose all the documentation although it is still connected with the .bak file. What am I doing wrong here? I'm not real familiar with the SLC but I'm following all the directions given in the Procedures Guide.

when you go Online take the following steps:

1. Open RSLogix500 (do not open a project)
  2. Click on Comms
  3. Select System Comms
  4. Browse the Who Active window until you see your SLC
  5. Click on the SLC to select it
  6. Click on the Upload button
  7. The software should pop up a window asking which project you want to upload to.
  8. Select the .RSS file that has the appropriate documentation
  9. Select Upload Use File
    [/list=1]

Hope that helps!

OG

Thanks, I'll try that it the morning. What I failed to mention is that I'm connecting with an RS-232 cable and I just clicked 'go-online' without going through the comm selection. I'll give it try.

Ah! That is the problem. When you do that, RSLogix picks the best match of files to open. If you have multiple copies of a project it can open the wrong version. Or I should say, the version it thinks is the best version, which may be the wrong version.

OG

Operaghost said:

1. Click on the Upload button
    [/list=1]

OG

1. Trying to remember this off the top of my head......

I think it says "Upload (use file)"
    other options are "Create New"
    and "Cancel"

Keep in mind that when you click on "Upload (use file)" you have to browse, if your documented file is not in the defualt folder.

When I have problems like this, I usually delete all files, including the .bak's that I have for the particular processor, keep only one documented version in the defualt RSLogix500 project folder and then try to go online again.
    If any of the offline versions in this folder match the processor name and the program checksum it will use the first file it comes to, going right online without giving you the option of choosing.

And you know I had it all type out with me saying "Upload Use File" and then I realized I could use the Numbered List function to make it all nice and pretty looking. Instead of adding the html tags I just reentered it using the wizard, and don't you know I forgot to say "Upload Use File" the second time around.

Y'all caught me!

OG

Thanks for the information Operaghost and leading me in the right direction. I followed your instructions and then cleaned everything up and now everything is like it should be. Thanks.

Glad I could help. Lots of good people here, I just happened to be the first to respond (although barely). You can just call me OG, no need to type that whole name out!

OG