What is a digital input?

Don't know how you learned about analog inputs without learning about digital ones, because these are the simpler ones. Digital means only two states: on and off (or 1 and 0 or true and false). Think of switches!

Regards,

Digital inputs - in the world of PLC's - are not to be mistaken for (digital) communication as e.g. RS232.

In PLC terms, a digital input is - as jvdcande states - a "Examine if closed" input. The PLC will determine if a signal is present at the digital input terminal or not. E.g. a "START" push button.

Actually, I see the term "discrete I/O" replacing the older term "digital I/O". Either term represents the fact that there are only two discrete states, which can be represented by the digits 0 or 1 as stated above.

I avoid the term "examine if closed" because that is Allen Bradley specific.

"discrete" is used in relation to the sampling of a signal over time. The "discrete" means that the actual value of a signal between samples is unknown.

"digital" means that a signals amplitude is sampled and quantisezed into a finite numberset. That could be 0-1 for a 1-bit (boolean) value, and 0-4095 for an 12-bit (analog) value.

Apart from that, "digital" is freely used everywhere when it is actually meant to be "boolean". Have anyone ever seen a boolean input card ?