Lost MMI data

Jim Schroll

Hello..I have a strange problem here. This is a steel furnace. Three temperature control zones, controlled by a plc5, old Moore 351 controllers and A/B Rsview32 MMI software. This is the problem..about a week ago all of my zone temperature process variables stopped updating. My setpoints still update, as do other non temperature zone temps such as furnace pressure, recouperator temps, etc. They all still work. Just these zone temps. The furnace uses blue hose as a data highway. I've changed computers with one configured identically. That worked. I'm trying to repair the one I pulled out. Replaced pk card, same problem. Reloaded program from the good computer, same problem. Help..thanks, Jim

First, what do the LEDs on each node show? If they are red or flashing red, then there is a problem, likely media, but could also be duplicate node address. Look close at connectors, and end resistors, and the LEDs. Slow flashing green basically means happy but idle and periodically scanning. On RIO "blue hose networks", it will be solid green due to constant activity, on DH+ the green should flicker based on data transfer rates at the ports. If RSView is talking to it, it will be pretty much solid green if any significant number of tags are "on scan" at runtime.

What version of RSView32?
What version of RSLinx Classic are you using?

Is the PCMK card baud and node number unique and correctly set?

In most cases, RSLinx is the data source for RSView, and unless locked down, you can stop and look around in the runtime machine with the key stroke CTRL + ALT + P, P to open up the project manager. This is a small window with some configuration and editing ability (if you have a RSView32 Works license). But in any case you can configure the "Nodes" as I recall they're labelled. Usually, this is a path through RSLinx Classic.

There, you can look at the communications settings, but just getting to the PC desktop, you should be able to launch a RSLinx "RSWho" (who active) window and looking for your configured DH+ driver...

It is also possible that you could save (RSLinx Backup and Restore) the driver settings on the old PC and restore them on the new one, which should take care of driver settings and DDE/OPC paths.

If I remember right, you can choose to use a "direct driver" or a DDE/OPC server as a comms node and in those cases it might be just as easy to compare and duplicate the DDE/OPC Topic name and path manually on the new machine in RSLinx Classic. By the way, if you find that DDE/OPC capability is required by the RSView32 application, then you will need to ensure a license for it exists on the new machine, since the Lite (unlicensed free version) of RSLinx doesn't support DDE/OPC functionality.

If you open the RSLinx application window, the title bar should say RSLinx Classic Lite, Professional, Gateway, OEM, or whatever license is available to it. If it says Lite, it can 't do DDE but can certainly support direct drivers and/or gateway paths to the nodes.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: