WinCC Date Format

Was just wondering if anybody has had any issues with the Date Format on WinCC Flex 2008?
When I place a 'Date' in the screen editor, initially it displays in American format (month/day/year). Then I change my Project Language to English(UK) and it changes to the normal sequential format of Day/Month/Year. So good so far, but when I download to the HMI or simulate in runtime it flips back to American format.
In Runtime you can actually see it display correctly for about 100ms, then it flips the Day Month out of order. I am teetering on the edge of re-installing the whole software, but knowing how helpful you guys are, I'd thought it'd be best to ask first.
Thanks

After finally installing everything on a fresh new hard drive, it didn't make any difference. Runtime ignores any local settings and reverts to American date format regardless of any WinCC settings. Same applies to the HMI.

I found the following threads (that failed to show on my initial search). It appears that we have a bug in the WinCC software.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=59114

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=42463

I am running WinCC flexible 2008 SP2 which is only two years old. I will try SP3 (Feb 2012), but this bug is not listed as one of the fixes.:oops:

Hi it is not a bug it is your project configuration.

Goto device settings> project languages and fonts> and enter/select English UK for the project language. Note that any texts you entered for the English US language will disappear. Look into multiple languages for the area where you can cut and paste your texts from us to uk similar to a spreadsheet and get them back for uk settings. Sounds a bit daft but the other language maybe russian etc etc so each language used in the project has its own column

select English UK for the project language.
I already have English UK selected, it’s the only language in the project.

I am afraid this is a bug. I just had word back from Siemens-Germany that they are aware of the problem, but have not been able to fix it yet.

Apparently, any language will appear in American date format when transferred to an HMI or Runtime using WinCC (since 2008!).

Thanks everybody for your help on this.

ps, this bug only seems to be on Basic panels

Last edited:
Strange.. My WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2 works fine, on a MP277 10" touch and a PC runtime of that project that I am currently developing.

Cheers

hmmm how I am supposed to know you have a basic panel ? You never mentioned your panel type, but suggested it was a widespread bug in WinCC Flexible

Your tone is a bit negative.

Is the issue the date display for a clock or is it for the alarm list date/time display? If it is a clock display you can roll your own FB to strip out the component parts and reformat as you wish as a workaround. You can also add that tag to your alarm text messages and hide the true date time column... at least you can on a TP/MP terminal. I never use 'Basic' or low end due to restrictions which limit what I can do with the kit.

Personally I would return the panel as not fit for purpose and pay the extra for a TPxxx.

Last edited:
Yes I edited it 9 minutes after I posted it, when I realised I had not mentioned what panel I was using.

The date issue is throughout the HMI (or Runtime) even alarms, so no work around. I can’t really justify spending an extra £1000 just to get the date to show correctly!

Did you re-create the bug in Runtime?

I guess I do have negative feelings about the amount of hours I have wasted trying to rectify this bug, especially as Siemens know about it and its been around for so many years.
I will try to be more positive, thanks for the advice. :cool:

I’ve had a solution back from Germany:-

In WinCC go to Options > settings > workbench > project view settings > select “Display all items”. This allows “system events” to appear in alarm management menu of your project.

Open “System events” and scroll down until you see the incorrect date format "M/d/yyyy" (alarm number 330018). Change this order to match the project language "dd.MM.yyyy" with two d’s, two M’s and four y’s.

Everything now works as it should.
I hope you find this useful.

I never use 'Basic' or low end due to restrictions which limit what I can do with the kit.

Personally I would return the panel as not fit for purpose and pay the extra for a TPxxx.

totally agree - perhaps they should rename them 'crippled panels'

been bitten by these panels once - never again.