Keeping up-to-date in the automation world

Csar1985

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you guys keep up with the new things in the automation world. Are there any good websites/magazines who actually keep track of all the new developments? I personally keep up with RSS-feeds, but i have the feeling that this isn't the way to go.

Any input would be helpful!!

Tnx in advance,

Nico

Engineering magazines and all the **** that the sales reps bring that ends up in the bathroom for those longer moments or the smoko table.

It's impossible to keep up. I think you will find in the coming years the "universal / polymath" controls guys becoming a thing of the past and more of the specialization you see in other disciplines. You will have the Network guy, the servo guy, the PLC guy, the vision guy, etc. Things are becoming to large and diverse to stay on top of all these disciplines simultaneously. My suggestion is to pick the things you enjoy the most and focus on them to an expert level.

Usually it gets dumped on my desk, with the instructions to make it work, yesterday!

We have automation fairs that we can go to, but I usually don't have the time.

The latest is always whatever the sales guys from various vendors are pushing. Finding out about anything new to their catalogue always helps in staying updated with regards to most areas.