FTView SE extremely slow response

cody56

Hey everyone! My name is Cody and I'm a programmer for a small custom machine builder. Anyways, I'm working on a testing line that has a PLC, 6 POE cameras, a computer running FTView SE, and a LabView program that is running the actual tests on the part. All of this is run through a Cisco switch that has 12 POE ports and 12 10/100 ports. The problem I've run into is that sometimes (frequently, but it seems to be an on/off type of thing) the buttons on my screen will not register/respond for about 60 seconds (you will hit a button and 60 seconds later you'll see the effect in the program). Now I turned on Event Viewer so I can see exactly what it's doing and I'm seeing that the switch to a "1" (button has been clicked) registers immediately, but the switch back to "0" (button has been released) occurs a minute later.

Has anyone else ever seen a problem like this? I've talked to Rockwell A LOT but they can't seem to pin down the problem.

How are your buttons set up? (In code and FactoryTalk)
Momentary, latch, momentary with an ind on top? (FactoryTalk)
IS there a one shot? (Code)
What is the PLC scan time? (Code)
Is it possible the PLC doesn't see the ON state before the button is released, ONS can help with the scan time (stays on for a single scan). (Code)

Do you have counters, what is the button doing (within the program, do you see it turn on), is it latching something? (Code and connected while PLC is in remote run mode)

Put up a small chunk of code? (or rung the button is on) (Code)

This is a bit scattered, but I'm in a rush. Figured I would get your ball rolling on your problem.

Last edited:
These are all momentary buttons which just change the machine over from AUTO/MANUAL mode or do a manual move of a cylinder or things like that. I do not have one-shots but I guess I never have and I've never had these problems before. I have a very small scan time (3ms or something like that? The machine is in a different state so I can't check ATM). The other very odd thing is that the machine worked perfectly while at our shop, but as soon as we delivered it to the customer it started doing this.

So all of the other tags seem to work and match the PLC or what should be expected?

I would recommend ons just because you don't get the double bump some pushbuttons see.
(Do you have a PLC you can boot up and load the software on?)

What is your program software? RSL5k? 500?

This is Logix5000 v19 (I believe) and FTView SE v6.10. I believe everything is up to date and patched.

Check the Ethernet switch and all of the Ethernet devices. They should all be set to autonegotiate, or all be set to the same duplex and rate.

What is the CPU and disk usage on the server and client machines?
You can use task manager, but I prefer Process Explorer.
If you have managed switches, look at the port usage information on the switch; see if you are having any errors. You can also check the Event Viewer on the slow machines for FTDiagnostics faults.

For the record, I'd stay as far away from FTView as possible in the future, it is a horrible mess of crapware.