Pico Controller

Jeremybauer

I am having trouble figuring out how to program a Pico controler to handle the firing of 2 label applicators. They are in series and i want the second applicator to start applying labels after I get a signal from the first one saying it is out of label formats. I have got all of the inputs figured out but I can't figure out how to count the products in and out at the two input sensors. Any one out there follow me and have a suggestion?

Your question is kind of vague to me, but I would like to help. I use the Moeller relays all the time, which are the Picos.

Try this. Use input to signal a retentive counter in the Pico. Set the counter set point at the known label quantity in one labeler. Then have the counter operate a latching or alternating relay between the two Pico outputs to the labelers. You could use a second counter to track the second labeler once it is started. When it is counted out have it reset the first. Hope this helps.

I have worked on what sounds like the same style set-up, with 2 labellers working on one conveyor line. What you need is an encoder on the conveyor and a detection sensor so that you can track the position of the product along the line, this would then be fed into ashift register, if the line speed is constant then you could generate your own pulse in the PLC but if the conveyor stops then you wont know the position of your products. Then you can track the products without labels after the firs runs out and staart useing the second labeller.

hope this gets you going in the right direction

Alex

To add to my earler post, after looking at the Pico on Rockwells website I don't think you will be able to do what you need. The unit doesn't have a shift registers function so you have to create your own, this means setting and unsetting internal bits or coils. As the Pico is a more basic unit you will soon run out of internal coils as u would need a lot to label with any accuracy, but it is possible to create your own shift register as I have had to do it on a Logo, which is siemens version of the pico.

Actually you could probably do it without the encoder and just use your product detectors to do the counting, but you will still need the shift register.

If I am on the right track and you need more help then let us know which Pico you want to use then I can check on the limitations of the internal coils. Also how many products are there likely to be between the two product detectors?

Alex

Last edited:
Thank you to all for your help. To let you know what I did I found a simpler way to handle the application. After talking with Tech Support at CTM(the company that made the labelers) I found that they have a signal you can send the applicators to inhibit them from firing. That allowed me to get rid of all of the marker bits involved with a shift reg and just count the products while turning on and off the different inhibit functions.

Thanks again for all of your help. :)