ML1400 & 1763 NC01 & Power flex 4M

leonlai

Hi guys,

I'm using ML1400 & NC01 to control Powerflex 4M. But I cannot control to start the VFD neither control the speed ! I may ask for instruction or somebody plz point out where did I miss a step :

RSLogix conf: Channel 0: RTU Master / 9600 / Non shaking (485 networking) / data bit 8 / 1 stop bit

Drive: I set up parameters for Power Flex 4M like manual says:
P106=5 / P108=5 / C302 = 3 (9600) / C306 = 0
about C303, I set 100 / then I set 1 / nothing happen

My question is : how come I know ML1400 recognize the drive ? Can we check ? (in this case is that ML1400 is default node 0, drive PW4M node 1 so the C303 should be set = 1)

I wrote the code like the one instruction online (the one with 4 steps), observed the MG9 and see no thing (no Enable, no Done, no Error on instruction symbol)

My first MG is : MG9:0 with modbus command = 6 (write single) / data table address N14:2 (=0) / size element 1 / address 8193 / slave node = 100 or 1 proportional to C303 I set.
---> nothing happen, drive does not start !!???

What did I do wrong ??

Thanks

Solve the mystery of the MSG instruction first; if the /EN bit does not go true, then either the conditions on the rung are false or the ladder logic routine is not being scanned.

Are your MSG instructions in a subroutine ? Is there a JSR that jumps to that subroutine ?

Where exactly did you find the "4-step" description of this arrangement ?

yeah, I forget to write instruction to jump to subroutine >_<; now I got the error code on drive F081

I change the C304 to "continue last", no fault on VFD but, ... again, I cannot start the VFD also cannot read the error MSG.

Before change C304, I read 81 on N14:4 (for example)by using 8449 (reading error code) / After change C304, I cannot read any thing on N14:4

so how do I use 8193 to start the drives ?

to Ken Roach:
I wrote my code base on this, mostly exactly (just changed what need to be changed) http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=44818

I think that I'm pretty sure the ML1400 does not communicate with the PF4M; is my set up for them to communicate right ? or I'm missing something here ?

I check the drive d015 (communication status) = 1000 (1: communication errors/0=false for RS485 / 0 = false for transmitting dat / 0 = receiving data

any idea ?

If bit 1 of d015 is one you probably need to swap the rx and tx wires. I had a similar problem installing a panel recently and it turns out my leads were fine I just had a loose wire. Also make sure you have terminating resistors one the ends of your cable. This will work, it's just kind of a pain to get it to work the first time.

As far as addressing your logic word is at 8193. Writing 1 to bit 1 and 0 to bit 0 should start the drive. You have to write the whole int file word. Try sending only this message. The plc will often timeout multiple messages sent at the same time. Therefore they need to be sequenced using the dn and er bits.

This all leads to very long comma delays when talking to multiple drives and reading and writing multiple parameters. I just commisioned a system that takes around 10 seconds for speeds to update. It controls 3 drive and gets all the troubleshooting data I could think useful. I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND HARD WIRE START STOP FOR THIS REASON. You don't want to injure someone or damage equipment due to a comms error.