Studio 5000 (v21) and RSLinx 3.51 released. Anyone get it yet?

I installed it today on two Windows 7 computers, will not install on XP machine, I am told there is no back door to run Studio on XP.
One Windows 7 laptop (64 bit) looks OK, another W7-64 PC having issues, not sure if they related to Studio.
Will post update tomorrow.

One good feature that I really like is remote subnet browsing in RSlinx Classic.
Also EthernetIP driver now uses unicast instead of Broadcast.

Could someone give the .02 tour of what this product is? Is it a replacement for Logix5000 and FactoryTalk View Studio? I looked around on their website and didn't get a clear answer.

I didn't see that on their site for some reason. I thought this was their attempt at merging Logix5000 and Studio that I keep hearing whispers of.

Last edited:
At this point Studio5000 v21 is just relabeled RSlogix5000 v21.
In future it will combine RSlogix5000 and studio ME

So according to that Powerpoint, V21 won't run on XP, only Server 2008 and Vista.

Does that mean we can't simultaneously support versions 10 to 20 on the same O/S ?

Versions 12-18 will install on Windows 7 64-bit PCs
Versions 10-18 will install on Windows 7 32-bit systems

They are not tested but working just fine on these systems
==========================

I want to give an advance warning if you have task monitor tool ver 2.4.1 already installed.
Task monitor tool 3.0.5, that is coming with V21, will try to uninstall ver 2.4.1
There is a known anomaly there task monitor tool 2.4.1 uninstaller that can cause RSLogix5000 and some other programs not to respond.

I don't have a tested soultion.
Possibly, you can try to uninstall Task Monitor 2.4.1 before V21 installation or not to install 3.0.5 with v21.

Last edited:
Here is what needs to be done after TM 2.4.1 uninstall
Again, I did not test this solution

From TN 473535

Uninstalling the Logix5000 Task Monitor Tool v2.4.1 inadvertently unregisters the following .DLL files.
  • MSVCR71.dll
  • msxml4.dll
Use the following procedure to register the same files within the system directories:
32-bit Operating System

Click Start --> Run and paste each of the following and click OK after each one:
  • regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml4.dll
  • regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCR71.dll
64-bit Operation System

Click Start --> Run and paste each of the following and click OK after each one:
  • regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\msxml4.dll
  • regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\MSVCR71.dll

Last edited:
Please review Technote 518662 before installing Studio 5000 v21.

I would recommend to wait until root cause of the installer anomaly found.

I installed it for giggles. Logix5000 looks the same, new file icons...oooOOooooo!

Task Monitor Tool is prettier, have to determine if it is better. RSLinx has a big version Jump to 3.51. From the release notes:

RSLinx Classic v3.51.00 (CPR9 Service Release 5.1) supports large connection. DTL_CIP_LARGE_CONNECTION_OPEN and DTL_CIP_LARGE_CONNECTION_CLOSE functions are added. To support the large connection function, v20 or later controller and EN2x, v5.x is required. For Rockwell Automation devices, all of the latest 1756 Ethernet bridges (for example, EN2T, EN2TR, EN2F, EN3TR, EN2TXT) support 4002 bytes over Ethernet. The older 1756 Ethernet bridges (for example, ENBT, ENET) and the 1768 bridges (for example, ENBT) do not support the DTL_CIP_LARGE_CONNECTION_OPEN service. Currently, RSLinx Classic does not support large connection over the virtual backplane and USB CIP connection.

I do a lot of data upload and download to a Logix procesors to/from excel workbooks for set points and various configurations. Read/Write seems faster...

When I spoke with the PanelView 5000 group at Automation Fair, they said that Studio 5000 was planned to be a unified launcher for the ControlLogix editor and for the new PanelView development environment.

When PanelView 5000 got delayed, they chose to still launch the editor side of the product with the new name and the other features they had been working on. The Kinetix 5500 guys, of course, felt their new motion platform was the most important.

I think that FactoryTalk View Studio will continue, with a version 6.30 coming for the PanelView Plus terminals (USB webcam support !) and a version 7 for the SE system.

None of this is gospel, just my recollections from the Studio booth.

My company's standard platform for RA software is an XP-SP3 virtual machine. Looks like we'll be changing that to Windows 7 or taking some other path.

Version 21.00.01 posted on the web today.
It will not install any additional tools that apparently having install issues.

If you already have v21.00.00 downloaded, then don't select any tools under "Additional Components"
TN 518662 explains repair process if you got problems after v21.00.00 install.