Message between Micrologix & Compactlogix

leighigh

Can Send or recive anything other then intergers when communicating between a micrologix and compactlogix over an ethernet connection

Yes, anything you want, except singular BOOL (bit) tags/data.

The setup can be complicated by the nature of the different platforms -

what data do you need to message?
which PLC is the source ?
which PLC receives the data ?

I was trying read some strings from the micrologix with a compactlogix and kept getting an error message about the file type. The Micrologix uses an ST type file. But if you say it can be done I will try agan in the morning. Do I use a SLC type read or CIP data table read.

Last edited:
ST file types are not likely to work, but you can copy them into integers and message those, then copy them back into ST files at the other end.

I was trying read some strings from the micrologix with a compactlogix and kept getting an error message about the file type. The Micrologix uses an ST type file. But if you say it can be done I will try agan in the morning. Do I use a SLC type read or CIP data table read.

Def NOT CIP Data Table Read

Looks like OkiePC is right, just tried to set this up offline, and it appears that ST9:0 is not a valid source spec. for SLC Data-Table read.

But as he said - you can fudge it

Last edited:
How about sending the String from the Micrologix to the Compactlogix. I am not very famaliar with the micrologix and have not quite figurad out how to set up the RI data file.

Which MicroLogix is it ? Only the 1100 and 1400 have Ethernet ports.

If you have to write to the CompactLogix from the MicroLogix, the you will need to set up a PLC/SLC mapping in the CompactLogix, since the SLC doesn't speak "Tags".

If your SLC String file is ST9 then in the CompactLogix you have to map 9 to a STRING array tag, e.g. SLC_Strings[20].

Your message configuration in the MicroLogix will also need Routing Information (RI) data-file, which stores the routing data needed (IP address and so on).

I'm gathering more info on this setup, so can probably advise better later. As far as I can tell so far, the RI data-file is Read-Only, the system sets up the data in it, you have to go to the Multi-Hop tab on the message configuration dialog to enter the target IP address.

PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix family controllers use a String datatype that is composed of a 16-bit Length value, followed by 41 16-bit integers, each of which holds two 8-bit ASCII characters. This gives you a fixed String datatype payload of 82 characters.

The ControlLogix family uses a different format; the Length is a 32-bit DINT and the data is an array of 8-bit SINT values. The default STRING datatype in ControlLogix is also 82 characters, but you can create user-defined String datatypes that have between 1 and 2048 characters.

These datatypes aren't radically different, and each one fits the underlying operating system of its control platform.

But they're different enough that RA did not build an automatic datatype conversion into the MSG instruction.

The conventional workaround is to use an Integer data array as an intermediary data storage location.

Copy the String datatype in the MicroLogix into an Integer datatype array, then read that integer datatype with the MSG instruction in the CompactLogix. In the CompactLogix, move the first INT[x] element to the .LEN subelement of your String tag, then copy the next several (up to 41) INT[x] elements into the .DATA subelement of your String tag.

In the MicroLogix, you will actually use two instructions; One MOV to put the String.LEN value into the first INT holding register, and then a Copy Word (CPW) to copy the String.Data[0] words into the next (and subsequent) holding registers.

Clear as mud ?

In RSLogix 500, type in these two rungs:

MOV ST12:0 LEN N10:0 [Enter]
CPW ST12:0.DATA[0] N10:1 41 [Enter]

That's going to put your String data into N10:0 through N10:41.

Make that data table (of course, choose your own data file numbers if you wish) the source for the MSG instruction in the CompactLogix, then we'll take on the data handling on the CompactLogix end.

Hi!, I´m not familiar with AB PLCs yet and I need to communicate ML1400 with Compactlogix L32E. I want the L32E to read and write on the ML1400. How should I start? Should I add the ML1400 as a module of the Compactlogix? if yes, which device should I choos from the module list?
Thanks!!

Hi!, I´m not familiar with AB PLCs yet and I need to communicate ML1400 with Compactlogix L32E. I want the L32E to read and write on the ML1400. How should I start? Should I add the ML1400 as a module of the Compactlogix? if yes, which device should I choos from the module list?
Thanks!!

Repost your question in a new thread, so as not to disrupt this one. I'll answer the new post.

Ken I tried what said, but I keep getting a invalid date type in CPW logic.

Which MicroLogix PLC do you have?

What is the File Number of your String Data?

What File Number is available to use as the Integer File?

It would probably be easier if you could post your PLC Program if you can.(Zip it first).

Stu....