Comms Between ML1400 and CompactL L32E

jorgeGal

Hi!, I´m not familiar with AB PLCs yet and I need to communicate ML1400 with Compactlogix L32E. I want the L32E to read and write on the ML1400. How should I start? Should I add the ML1400 as a module of the Compactlogix? if yes, which device should I choos from the module list?
Thanks!!

You will not be able to put the MicroLogix into the CompactLogix IO Configuration tree.

Instead you will have to configure your MSG Paths "explicitly".

I made a post on this subject recently, I'll try to find it and post back.

Here's the post, useful info in there.

Just remember an explicit Path spec, is always an even number of parameters...

Port, Destination, [Port, Destination],......

Without the hardware to test it, I'm going to make a guess that the system configured "1769-L32E EtherNet Port", named LocalENB, is port 1, so a message path to a MicroLogix at 192.168.1.21, would at least start with ...

1, 192.168.1.21

...and that may be all you need

Last edited:
I have Some other questions when checking parameters setting in the MSG resource:

Which message and service type should I configure?

I see..., It works. And it seem that I can´t send bool values!, so, if I´m not wrong, I will have to create an INT table to group my bool values, right?

I see..., It works. And it seem that I can´t send bool values!, so, if I´m not wrong, I will have to create an INT table to group my bool values, right?
Right. It's a good practice to group them anyway.

I comment these types of bits To [plcname] and From [plcname] in groups and then comment each member as they're used, retaining that To and From prefix to make them nicely sortable.

B files can be sent too, they can be addressed the same as N files at the 16 bit word level. Or, you can address N words at the bit level and use them with bit instructions. It boils down to two things:
1) efficiency. If you use the first two or four words for bits and the rest for other data types in the message you can send it in one nice tidy package and do it very frequently if necessary.
2) Viewability. If you prefer or need the b-file appearance at the word level during editing and monitoring, then double up on messages to write/read the two blocks.

Hi!, I´m not familiar with AB PLCs yet

EDIT: I see a basic Allen Bradley PLC/SLC/Micrologix addressing introduction is in order. I think I have about ten minutes of editing time left.

The first character is the file type.
The most common
B-boolean, binary bits.
N-Integer 16 bit
F-IEE794 real 32 bit
T-Timer Structure, three 16 bit words
B-Counter Structure, three 16 bit words.

After that character is the file number.

Most systems have predefined file numbers that you can't change:
S2 (Status)
B3
T4
C5
R6 (control registers)
N7
F8

After file 8 or 9 some models allow you to make your own data tables of whichever type you like up to 256 elements for a SLC/Micro or 1024 elements in a PLC-5.

Next there is a field delimiter.

The colon is the element or group delimiter, if there is a "/" instead, the next value is the bit number. If a period appears within an address it may indicate a word level address within a group or slot in real I/O.

So:

B10:10/0
is the same address as
B10/160

And B10:10 contains sixteen bits including the one above since it is only specified to the word level.

Last edited: