rs linx

jonamackf

hey Im fairly new to the plc world Im having problems getting rslinx to configure my drive Im trying to connect to Allen Bradley plc using rs 5000 on the Ethernet ip card the cable hooks to a hub I've tried getting connected through Ethernet and it doesn't pick up my links gateway connection i have tried a straight rs 232 cord it doesn't configure it either. However i can connect to my powerless drives in drive executive and it shows my connection in rs linx when doing that any suggestions on what Im doing wrong or any step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum,

You didn't mentioned what model of PLC, but you mentioned RS Logix 5000, so I guess it is either Controllogix / Compactlogix

1. For connecting thru ethernet, you have to choose and configure an EtherNet/IP driver in the RS LInx
2. Change the IP address of your PC to the same as PLC and hook it up, For example the PLC is 192.168.0.1 then you may choose 192.168.0.10 for you PC and a subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

3. If you are using RS232 port to link, Choose a AB-DF1 driver in the RS LInk and configure it by choosing Logix 5550/compactlogix as the Device and hit 'Auto Configure' after you connect it to the device.
4. Ensure you have the correct com port chosen. If you are using a USB to RS232 converter, check your port number in the Device Manager before doing so.

Regards

Welcome to the Forum !

You will get the best advice when you are very clear and detailed with your questions. Include things like actual part numbers, exact product names, and specific details about the software you are using.

Because you are trying to connect for the first time to a controller, you'll need to understand the basics of your computer.

Do you know the COMx port number of your serial port ? Most built-in ones are COM1, but USB/RS232 converters could have any port number and you need to look them up in the PC's Device Manager.

Do you know the IP address of your computer ? Is it dynamic or static ? Do you know the IP address of the ControlLogix Ethernet card ?

Ok so i got connected now the problem Im having is when i go into rslogix5000 i can pull up the backbone and click on my processor and go online but it says file not found and i can't find the program file. Is there a way i can download the program or find a way to see the program.

When you don't have an offline program already stored on your PC, the software will create one for you. This is not really clear from the screen that pops up, I know, but what you need is to simply type a new program name (starting with an alpha character, not a number) and tell it to use that. It will come back telling you it can't find that name and will ask you if you want to create it. Say yes, let it do it's thing (including uploading the program from the PLC), and then go online. Do a file-save at this point and you have your copy sans comments and labels.