reading analogs in ml1200 from slc504

nathan.slade

can someone explain to me how to read analog values in a ml1200 from a slc through dh485. i have both connected to aic+ and both are seen through linx. the ml1200 is node3 and the slc504 is node2.

can someone explain to me how to read analog values in a ml1200 from a slc through dh485. i have both connected to aic+ and both are seen through linx. the ml1200 is node3 and the slc504 is node2.

While you might be able to read the Analog Value directly from the Input Channel. I would copy it, or a Scaled version of it, into an N Memory location.

Then I would use a MSG Instruction to read the N Memory in the ML1200 into the SLC.

Stu....

i have moved my inputs to n:7.0 to n:7.3. i need to move these to my slc. At this point my slc is only gathering data for my simple rsview32 display and panelview.

i have moved my inputs to n:7.0 to n:7.3. i need to move these to my slc. At this point my slc is only gathering data for my simple rsview32 display and panelview.

As stated in my first Post, a MSG Instruction will do that for you. I presume you are using Channel 0 on the SLC5/04 connected to the AIC+. Is that correct?

Stu....

Here is where the problem is, i have never use the msg instruction before. How do i set it up to read the first 4 N files in the ml1200? I have zipped my test file. can you tell me what im doing wrong

Sorry for not posting my ladder. I had a few drinks and could only rar it then win zip wouldn't install on the 9gb of free space on my laptop. Could anyone post a example for me to try to copy. That would be great. Slc504 32kb member reading N:7.0 to N:7.3 from the ml1200 through ch0 at 20.4 I think. Will check after work.

I actually had an example ready to go, but I was expecting a copy of your Ladder, so I closed it. I will make it again.

Make sure you have both Channels set to DH485, and the same Baud Rate and Settings.

Stu....

Your Message Setup should look something like this. Change the Target Data Table Address to where you want the Data to end up.

Stu....

SLCREAD.JPG

One last thing. Make sure you have a Trigger Timer for your Message Instruction. The Message Instruction takes a certain amount of time to Execute, so start with Triggering it every 3 Seconds, and then once everything is working, you can try reducing the Time Delay.

You definitely don't want to Trigger it every Scan.

Stu....

Thanks again stu.
I was just reading this all again and I can remember I was having trouble with the control block on the msg instruction itself. Can you please explain this to me in simple terms. I have tried the help menu but just get confused. Thanks again

Thanks again stu.
I was just reading this all again and I can remember I was having trouble with the control block on the msg instruction itself. Can you please explain this to me in simple terms. I have tried the help menu but just get confused. Thanks again

The Control Block takes care of all the Housekeeping for the Message Instruction. It is an Integer File 14 Words long. It needs to be mapped to an unused area of Memory.

In the older SLC Processors you had use Integer Memory. (N)

The new ones like the ML1400 have Message Data Types (MG) that is meant for this.

I normally create a new Integer File just for Messages.

Thanks mate. Things are starting to move forward now. I have a pic i tried to load of the 2 N7:0 files and the strainge numbers im getting at the slc.

IMAG0008.jpg