New Proface to SLC 5/05 Problems

Scott01

Hello all,

i recently got some good info from SThompson about the communication between Proface ST401 and AB SLC 5/05.
I now have a new issue that i can't seem to find a fix for. The ST401 increments values for some integers when nothing is being changed at the touchscreen (keypad input). other times it just ignores the new keypad input and puts whatever number (usually 8) in the register. also, i made a HMI practice screen and small SLC program completely different from the one previously loaded. I transferred the screen to the ST401 and downloaded the program to the PLC, all seemed ok. when i went online with the PLC and looked at the N7 registers they were all wonky with the same numbers and incrementing as the previous program. any ideas?

What happens if you disconnect the Proface and then monitor the SLC, do the registers still go "wonky". This would at least tell you where the problem is.

Note: I'm not a Proface user.

please zip up the Proface program and I'll have a look at it.
@Mickey it is a direct interface so will work almost the same as a PV+
this sounds as though there is a DINT or SINT with out the needed seperation

Iant, here is the original program for the Proface. The problem started with this one so I thought it would be the one to look at. i think i figured out how to attach a file so here goes. It was written with ProPBWin C-Package03 if that helps.

Iant,
I guess i should acquire a copy of GP-Pro EX then. but anyway, you mentioned "this sounds as though there is a DINT or SINT with out the needed seperation". What is/are DINT & SINT? Also the incrementing I mentioned happens at one minute intervals. Every minute the value at N7:5 increments by 1 and affects the values at N7:6 and N7:7. I understand you are unable to open and look at this program but what kinda strange does this sound like to you?

what i am refering to is the compact logix format - but the fault is the same.
the N7 is the 'Integer' mode so the maximum value is 32767
once you go over that value the overflow will go into the next register.
you might try to limit the register to prevent the value going over.
or use an F register 'REAL' floating point.
what are you doing with the 1 Min increment?

Iant,
I think i have the problem solved-ish. the system that i am working with is from a decommisioned piece of equipment at my workplace so theres no immediate need other than my learning experience. hope thats cool with you. anyway, what i did was change the N7 registers that were problematic with the HMI eg; N7:5 is now N7:12 and so on for the others. the problematic ones i just left there to rot. i'm sure there is a way to correct them for use with this HMI but that will be saved for another day when my PLC/HMI programming skills have more knowledge behind them. curious though, how would one go about limiting the value of a register? also would an F register operate similarly enough to affect a timer's preset value?

I dont mind helping
but you would do well to look at the various training assistance on this site
Also post a zipped copy of both your RSS file and the HMI apa file.
I don't have the software vailable to me to the moment
but others will help