Problem with connection to an old CPU200HG CPU43 omron CPU

gdalianis

Hi,

I need your help if it possibe.
I have an old omron CPU C200HG CPU43 and I am trying to connect to it with my PC though serial 9-pin cable. I try the pinout suggested to the manual of the C200HS which is

OMRON PC
1 -- 1
2 -- 2
3 -- 3
9 -- 5

On the male serial port of the CPU I have short circuit pins 4 with 5
On the female serial port of the PC I have short circuit 4 with 6 and 7 with 8

Unfortunatelly, alhtough I can see the comm LED light on on the CPU I can not get any connection. I have try to connect the auto on line fuction of cx-programmer and also to connect with the work on-line function after loading the program of the CPU which I have stored to my PC, none of them works.....

I am desperate for a solution, I suspect that I am done something wrong with the serial wiring, could anyone give me some suggestions?

Thank you in advance

I have experienced similar problems with the auto online.
Try this - open the front panel of the CPU (houses the battery etc and covers the LED's). Inside you will find some DIP switches. Turn switch 5 to the ON position. All of this can be done with the power on.
Check your comms settings in Cx-Programmer to make sure you are set for "Host link", Start bits:1, data length: 7bits, parity: even, stop bits: 2, baud rate: 9600
These are the std Omron hostlink settings. With the DIP switch 5 turned ON this overrides any setup the PLC has for the serial port and resets it back to host link. When you turn off the dip switch the port goes back to whatever the setup is.

Many thanks for your support, especially to _woody_,

After following the instruction given be woody, I have managed to connect to the CPU after loading the an old copy at the program that I have to my PC and press "work on line" mode.
Could you possible give some more help. As I have said i got an error indication on the CPU, after the connection has been made I got the massage the the CPU has error at the PC. The errors on the error log was:

-Code 0x00F1 fatal Memory error
-Code -------- fatal IO Unit Over error
-Code -------- Non fatal Battery error
-Code -------- Non fatal System Alarm (FAL) error
-Code -------- Non fatal Duplex / Special IO Unit error

I have managed also to download the program to the PC and I ask the cx-programmer to make a comparison between the programs stored at the PC and the PLC, the CX-programmer pooped up a message said "The expresion fuctions do not match"

I have to mention that I have connected to the PLC though the serial port which is normally used for a connection of the PLC with a HMI, could it possible be this the reason for the error on the IO units?

Could you give some help in order to procced, as you understand I am very newbie to this but I am desperate to bring the CPU back to life.....

Thank you

Hi,
Looks from the error log as if your PLC backup battery has died and on power off you have lost the program in the CPU. Assuming the batter has not had a melt down inside the CPU and corroded the boards you should be able to re-load the program, once you have replaced the battery.
You will also need to generate the I/O table. This tells the PLC what cards are attached.
When you are on-line with the PLC make sure you are in program mode. double click the "IO Table" in the Cx-P tree. This will open a new window. Under the "options" tab you can either download the IO table or easier still select "create" this makes the PLC look at its I/O and generate a table based on what it has.
Also when you do the download of the program to the PLC make sure all the boxes are ticked - I think your error was "The EXPANSION fuctions do not match". In the transfer to PLC box there is an option to tick the expansion function download. In these older PLC's they had the option to add function blocks you could use in the programbut to do this you needed to remove function blocks that were part of the standard instruction set. This gave the programmer more options but makes it more difficult for others coming along trying to work with it 10yrs later.
Let us know how you get on.

QUOTE 'I have to mention that I have connected to the PLC though the serial port which is normally used for a connection of the PLC with a HMI, could it possible be this the reason for the error on the IO units?'

That will be the reason you could not access the serial port as it was probably set to 8bits or 19.2k /38k or higher.

unfortunately the dipswitch change sets this to a default value
the C200H was originally programmed by SYSWIN
if you are using CX-ONE you amy need to 'dumb it down' as some of the functions can not work

Thank you all for your help,

Unfortunatelly I still got a fatal error "fatal IO Unit Over error" after uploading the program to the PLC from the PC, athough the memory error has been cleared. On the IO tree table I can not see any units connected with the PLC and when I press create from the option tab I got an error "An invalid configuration has been specified". Should I forget getting the PLC back to life and look for a replacement or there is something else I could possible do?

Thank you and wish to all of you Merry Christmas

Have you tried putting the actual I/O table into CX-P and doing a compare? You will need to put it in accurately, including special I/O numbers on the cards.
I must admit I have never had this problem before and have been working with Omron PLCs since 1988. I/O over generally means duplicate special I/O numbers - refer to the appropriate manual for error descriptions.

Hi gdalianis,

Could you give us a list of the I/O cards on the rack(s) and the "Unit number" for any special I/O cards - usually green or blue stripe on LED indicators of card.
Does the PLC have any remote I/O? If you have a RM201 card (Sysmac Bus master) this could indicate an error on one of the remote I/O cards.

Thanks

By the way Ian I used to program the C200H with CAPS - disliked Omron's SSS immensely. Then there was Syswin - generally still preferred CAPS.

By the way Ian I used to program the C200H with CAPS - disliked Omron's SSS immensely. Then there was Syswin - generally still preferred CAPS.
no the only time I used a C200h was back in the Syswin days then left the job - so noly looked a the CQM serias in 97
🍺

Hi to all members and best wishes for a happy new year.

I left my problems with the PLC behind for a few days, I desperately needed a break.... Anyway, tomorrow I am expecting a new PLC unit and I will try this unit as well. I would like to thank all of you for your answers. I am attaching a list of the IO cards, my problem with the cx-programmer that I cannot declare the Temperature control units on the IO table, is there a special trick for them?
Should I use some older PC program to do this? Unfortunately the program stored at my PC was downloaded with the CX-programmer and I cannot open it with syswin... Sorry if my answers are silly, as I said I am very newbie to this....

Thank you in advance

IO cards.jpg