Omron and Kepware

rock

Has anyone used the Kepware Software with a Omron plc?
Have another division of my company that hired a outside integrator to come in and with the use of custom design software they develop with C++, collect information from packaging machines that use the Omron CQM1H PLC.
To make a long story short, manager of the plant read a article about the Kepware Software in a trade journal and has asked if I could look into this and possibly redo what was done with the Kepware Software.

Any advice or example with a omron plc would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Have not used the Kepware driver but have you looked at using the Omron CX-Server component? May be a lot easier and cheaper.

Agree Jay

You are right Jay, only problem is , that due to some merging of companies and cut backs have been given task to finish some projects that other folks, ( who job has been eliminated ) projects, and changing it all out to omron is not always a option, but wish it was, in my opion Omron the best there is.

Have one question that i hope you may be able to answer, is it possible to connect a wheat stone bridge loadcell into a omron analog input module and get at least 16 bits of resoultion.

Thanks alot

I have used KEPWare with Omron (as well as with few other brands) and it worked great.

The whole idea of using an OPC server is to standardize programming interface so an application created for Omron will relatively easy port to work with another PLC brand (or, at least, is supposed to). The downside is, one has to spend several hundred dollars per PC for KEPWare license.

A little warning regarding using KEPSever with Omron CJ1 when connecting via programming port: by default, that port is set for "auto baud detection" so CX-Server can automatically connect to it. This option must be disabled before trying to connect with KEP.

CS1W-PTS11 is 16-bit and accepts +/- 100mv.
CS1W-PDC11 is 16 bit and accepts 4-20ma, 0 to 5vdc, +/- 5vdc, +/= 10vdc, 0-1.25 vdc, +/- 1.25vdc.
All of the above are isolated inputs.
It's up to you to supply excitation voltage.

I believe Kepware allows you to download there software and use it for 2 hours at a time without a license. You should check it out and see for yourself if it can do what you want.

glaverty said:
I believe Kepware allows you to download there software and use it for 2 hours at a time without a license. You should check it out and see for yourself if it can do what you want.

You are correct. The OPC server will run for two hours. The run-time version of Infilink (if you choose to run an HMI pacakage) will run for 1 hour. No reinstallation is required, just close everything after time runs out and restart the programs.

Question with Omron and Kep

I have a question about getting an Omron Sysmac C28K onto an ethernet network. the ones we have do not appear to have ethernet ports(they're hard to see where they are applied, and the operators don't like me crawling all over while they're working), and I couldn't really find any info on the Omron site about any add-on modules.

I'm trying to get data acquistion up and running from Omron to KepWare, and it must be Ethernet. We have many stations with various PLC's, and they are all to come together over an Ethernet LAN to one computer...so I can't connect it via serial.

Any thoughts?
Josh

C28K is too old for Ethernet.However you can put RS232 to Ethernet adapter between your PLC to your Lan.
So you going to have 2 adaptors (Host Link&Lan).
I hope your program can support this option.

well that is an option i suppose...I was thinking just ethernet-based. I'm trying to get info from Cognex In-Sight into Excel, I don't know if the KepWare KepServerEX will support the adapter setup you mentioned. Learn as you go I guess

Thanks to ya
Josh

LadderLogic said:
I have used KEPWare with Omron (as well as with few other brands) and it worked great.

The whole idea of using an OPC server is to standardize programming interface so an application created for Omron will relatively easy port to work with another PLC brand (or, at least, is supposed to). The downside is, one has to spend several hundred dollars per PC for KEPWare license.

A little warning regarding using KEPSever with Omron CJ1 when connecting via programming port: by default, that port is set for "auto baud detection" so CX-Server can automatically connect to it. This option must be disabled before trying to connect with KEP.

Hi LadderLogic,

I am having a bit of struggle connecting a CJ1-42H CPU on a serial connection to the Kepware driver. All I am trying to do is read a value in the W100 location. Would you be able to please give me a 2 minute rundown on how to go about it?

My laptop is happily communicating with the PLC. Thinking the serial link can establish only one connection at a time, I went offline with the laptop but it did not help.

Thanks for your help
Simplelogix