retaining contact

emeka

hi frnds,pls can someone tel me how to retain contact on a relay.....for example pushing a botton to activate a bulb,and d bulb stil stays on even when the botton is released..

A self latching circuit - and then you need to utilise something else to unlatch the circuit - this is really simple control logic.

Welcome!

Search the forum for a seal in or start stop. How do you plan to turn this bulb off once it is turned on? Also, what PLC are you using?

HTH

.....Unlatch..........Latch.....................R1
|------|/|---------| |------------------( )--|
...................|..............|
...................|...R1........|
...................----| |----

Here's another try

am talkin of a water level control to be precise..and its gona comprise 2 flot switch nd a 3pole relay...ow it works?flot switch A wld be placed at d lower part of the tank,while flot switch B wld be placed at the upper part of the tank.1,flot switch A and flot switch B has to make for the pump 2 work.2,flot switch A and B has 2 also make for the pump 2 stop working...its not 2 be done wit a plc,just relays

Does the pump Fill, or Empty, the tank? It is not clear from your description.

the problem is that the graphic symbols are the same as PLC Code.

so lets talk about your wiring
1. LOW LEVEL FLOAT SWITCH
- requires to START the PUMP when actuated.
(Normally Closed Contact - Held OPEN by the water)
- CALL THIS ONE 'A'
2. HIGH LEVEL FLOAT SWITCH
- requires to STOP the PUMP when activated.
(Normally Closed Contact - will OPEN by the water at the height set.
- CALL This One 'B'
3. MOTOR CONTACTOR OR RELAY
- to supply power to th pump
- CALL This One 'C'

A           B                 C 

!---]/[----!----]/[---------------( )--

!          !

!    C     !

!---] [----!

Hey guys, try wrappering your ladder pictograms with the code or ladder tag:

Start Stop
PB1 PB2 MyLampBit
-+-------] [-------+-------] [---------------( )----------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| MyLampBit |
+-------] [-------+

Use the word ladder or code enclosed in square brackets, to end that style, use the same preceded by a backslash. This prevents the forum from trimming up your whitespace (removing redundant spaces).

Last edited:
Are you saying that you are opening and closing a 3 pole relay to control power flow to the
motor? What size motor are you controlling this way. Is is just a relay or an actual motor starter? A 3 pole relay will not give you thermal protection for your motor. a motor starter with properly sized thermal protection (heaters or overloads) are cheap insurance against single phasing and burning up a motor. Then you have the downtime to replace the motor plus the lost product to consider as well. Food for thought.

Kraken Fan #69

Hey guys, try wrappering your ladder pictograms with the code or ladder tag:

Start Stop
PB1 PB2 MyLampBit
-+-------] [-------+-------] [---------------( )----------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| MyLampBit |
+-------] [-------+

Use the word ladder or code enclosed in square brackets, to end that style, use the same preceded by a backslash. This prevents the forum from trimming up your whitespace (removing redundant spaces).
i'll try that
but can you redo it the same format as mine
(N/C contqcts for the float switches

i'll try that
but can you redo it the same format as mine
(N/C contqcts for the float switches
sure

Start Float
PB1 FS1 MyLampBit
-+-------] [-------+-------]/[---------------( )----------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| MyLampBit |
+-------] [-------+