powerflex 4 fault

type7

Hi, I have two identical motors other than one is a Leeson and the other is a Baldor. The Leeson's bearings went out and I replaced it with a new Baldor. After a few seconds the VFD shows a fault 6 which says either to inc. accel. time or reduce load. I tried a second new Baldor with the same outcome. Now, hit with a production emergency I took an old US motor I had lying around that had the same specs, wired it up and it started right up and ran perfectly. Note: The Baldor was then sent to a Baldor warranty shop that found no problems what so ever. I then retried the Baldor and it immediately faulted. Two new Baldors from motion ind. that were cross referenced to be identical replacements???

Would appreciate any and all help!!! rp.

powerflex fault 6

are these newer high effency motors? you may need to change your settings

They're labled "Standard-E" (efficiency) other than that I'm not sure. I'm a retired aviation mechanic and not too knowledgeable when it comes to VFD's etc.

Hii Type7,
Don't be carried away by the motors nameplate specifications. You can try out a few things on the Baldor motors.
(1)increase the acceleration time on the VFD.Reconnect and ran each of the Baldor motors and see what happens.
(2)alternatively, you can reduce the load on the Baldor motors and see if the VFD trips.
(3)you can also lower torque boost and see the effect on the Baldor motors.

If motors keep tripping in (1) and (2) above,keep reducing the load or increasing acelleration time till tripping stops while using a moving iron type ammeter to measure the motors amperage. Compare with actual nameplate ratings.Finally,since the vendor certified the motors to be o.k, remove both Baldor motors for use in applications requiring lower torque.

Powerflex 4 Fault 6

bce123:

P039 is 3, PO33 is 4)
(Baldor VM3558T)
(Leeson Mod C145T17FC2J Cat# 120038.00)

OKOYE I'll try and let you know

Don't remember all the specifics but we had issues with a Baldor Standard-E motor being used with a Yaskawa drive in a pump application. Started faulting on DC buss overvoltage. It would run fine up to 30HZ but anything above 30 would cause a trip. We tried adjusting settings per Yaskawa tech support without success and ended up replacing the motor.

What is the drive p/n? Can you describe the load?

We had trouble with an oscillating load (shaker conveyor) and a PF4 not getting along well.

The same size Yaskawa drive handles it fine, or the next size larger PF4 did okay too.

If your drive is sized close to the requirement, it doesn't take much of a change to push it over the edge. The difference between "high efficiency" and "premium efficiency" is often enough to do just that.

Also, can you compare (tell us) the FLA ratings of the two motors?

Powerflex 4 p/n 22A-D4PON-104 The load is a 4'x15'conv. with 2-1/2' 11ga. rollers transfering single wooden pallets to four independant stackers.I've used this type of VFD since 09 with no problems.I have two inline conveyors with two motors driven by the same type of drive and have even swapped the drive wiring to rule out the possibility of a defective drive. The Baldor trips both drives. FLA for the Leeson is 3.1, the Baldor just lists the amps per voltage. The Baldor ststes an 84% eff. whereas the Leeson is not quite 74%.

I am not sure if the efficiency difference should make much difference with a vfd like it hurts during dol start, but if it does, adjusting the low end of the v/hz range may help.
Can you run the vfd in scalar v/hz mode and try different start boost settings? That's just a hunch to follow.

Might be a dumb question but do you have the motor terminated for 480vac and not some other voltage? I worked on a 75 hp motor that was terminated by a new electrician and they connected the wires wrong in the motor. After further inspection he followed the wrong diagram. Inside the cover it gave 4 different ways to connect the motor depending on the controls. The way the stator was wired, the motor had no torque.

The specs of the motor state that it is a 1750rpm, 2hp with a FLA of 3.1. The drive is a 4amp drive so it should start. Can you watch the amps on the drive display when you try and start it? Is the drive set up for the correct rpm?

Powerflex 4 Fault 6

Kev, not a dumb question at all, but it is wired correctly. The motor was purchased new and was sent to a warranty shop after it started tripping.

Note: This motor trips without a load applied. No gear box attached, no sprockets, no chains!!

I too, have had problems recently with Baldor (1/2hp) motors, and (Mitsi) VFD's. After setting up the VFD, the motors would trip the drives on high amperage, with no load! You would typically see 60% (roughly) of full load current, on a motor being run in a 'no load' condition. These motors were right at full load amps, on a 'no load' condition. Calls to Baldor for tech support yielded no results. The motors were sent to an authorized repair facility, and were said to be just fine. Running these motors straight across line voltage, instead of a drive, did not solve the problems either. Out of frustration, and running out of answers, I called Mitsi tech support, and they recommended performing an auto-tune, and viola, problem was solved. I'm not sure what kind of 'magic' happened with the auto-tune, but I was strongly suspecting an inside issue with the Baldor motors, before we got our auto-tune results. After seeing this thread, could it be I was right? Is there an issue with Baldor motors?!?

One side note: I learned through this process, that Misti VFD's will perform auto-tune on motors below 1 hp now.

If it was me I would copy down the control settings like start source and speed reference which would be most of the "P" and some of the "A" parameters and reset to factory defaults. The Baldor motor you listed is a common motor. I have used that motor and many times in the past without a single issue.

You could also go through the manual and check all the parameters vs. Defaults.