Structured text

Jmoffat

I am a student learning PLC's. Everything we have learned so has been in ladder logic. The Book mentions structured text programming. What programming language is used most frequently for programming AB controllers? What language for other popular brands?:unsure:

It depends of the hardware manufacturer, CPU class and intended purpose of the application.
Ladder Logic is by far the mostly used "language" and it is probably supported by all manufacturers; to my knowledge, structured text programming is supported by the Allen-Bradley (Logix Class, Micro8x0)and later Siemens, Mitsubishi and OMRON CPU hardware.

a little more information ...

let's assume [gosh, I hate that word] that you're dealing with an Allen-Bradley ControlLogix or CompactLogix system ...

here are some links that you might find useful ...

first is a forum post that shows a quick sample of RLL (Relay Ladder Logic), STX (Structured Text), and FBD (Function Block Diagrams) programming languages ... (we'll let SFC (Sequential Function Charts) and Equipment Phases stay on the back burner for now) ... the next links are some easy reading on the subjects of the STX and FBD languages ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=428167&postcount=11

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm007_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm009_-en-p.pdf

note that your copy of RSLogix5000 might – or might not – support these "extra" languages ... you can click "Help – About" from the RSLogix5000 main menu – and then the More Info button to see which "add on" options you've purchased ...

as always, the more detailed the information that you give us – then the more detailed we can make our answers ...

and welcome to the forum ...

i know you are a student, and this is a bit off the topic, but revelant.

i learned programming on the job, just like many others.
i have worked for machine builders for over 20 years, and this is one of the key things i have learned.

to me, you must find out what your customer wants and what your customers maintenance personnel can deal with.

it does not matter how efficient your code is in structured text, fuzzy logic, grafcet, sequencers, function block diagrams, or ladder logic and it doesn't matter how much it cost to build the machine you programmed, what does matter is that when the plc program hangs, faults, or has a problem, Maintenance MUST be able to debug the program in a timely manner and get production running again!

if you write the code and document it well enough so that maintenance can debug the problem, then you have done your job. If maintenance has to call you and together you solve the problem over the phone, you have also done your job.

ask your customer what they want, talk to maintenance and get an idea of what they are used to.

good luck.

regards,
james

ST and SFC are items you should learn, ladder is easy.
i partially agree with you Shooter.
While you have the oportunity to learn it, it is an excelent idea.
I have only looked at it when I needed to - but I am self tought

I have not had the chance to deal with Structured text yet. But what I just realized is that it seems very similar to basic. and when i was still in grad school, i did lots of programming in basic, not just on the computer but countless hours on graphic calculator during classes.
Knowing this I now feel much more confident in dealing with Structured text in the future.

i know you are a student, and this is a bit off the topic, but revelant.

i learned programming on the job, just like many others.
i have worked for machine builders for over 20 years, and this is one of the key things i have learned.

to me, you must find out what your customer wants and what your customers maintenance personnel can deal with.

it does not matter how efficient your code is in structured text, fuzzy logic, grafcet, sequencers, function block diagrams, or ladder logic and it doesn't matter how much it cost to build the machine you programmed, what does matter is that when the plc program hangs, faults, or has a problem, Maintenance MUST be able to debug the program in a timely manner and get production running again!

if you write the code and document it well enough so that maintenance can debug the problem, then you have done your job. If maintenance has to call you and together you solve the problem over the phone, you have also done your job.

ask your customer what they want, talk to maintenance and get an idea of what they are used to.

good luck.

regards,
james

I agree with you james. however, machines bought from different manufacturers from different countries can quite often have different languages, and the guys who chose to buy it didnt know the difference. in that case maintenance needs to learn, as they will still be expected to troubleshoot it quickly.

this is a common query post.
will state the same comment.
LADDER is universal - but the IEC63..... is trying to make all programming as a standard.
so learing the Strucured tet is a good thing -but ladder is critical to fault trace.
Not mainly for the PLC but for its interconnected wiring

ST and SFC are a perfect combination for doing motion and machine control where there are steps to execute and conditions to wait for before going to the next step. I like ST and SFC better than FBD for motion control. Motion control often requires doing complex computations that are tedious to do in LD or FBD.