Viscosity sensor??

elevmike

I picked up this question on the AutomationDirect forum , and it peaked my couriosity. Maybe you guys can help.

"I am looking for a way to measure viscosity of an adhesive in our plant. The operators currently have to use a special cup with a small orifice at the bottom, they fill the cup to the mark and use a stop watch to get the time it takes for the cup to empty. I would like to put something in-line on the adhesive piping that would show a constant viscosity on a touch panel that the operators are currently using to monitor temperatures. I currently have a DL250-1 CPU and plenty of memory left to use for this. Thanks for any help."

Hi,
Slightly off subject, But i think might be relievent. We have a system which dispenses glue through a dosing cylinder. The Cylinder pressure is dependant on a proportional valve which regulates the incoming air.feedback with regard to the amount dispensed is via a transducer which pulses during piston movement, this provides accurate feedback and is constantly adjusting via PLC control
to obtain the preset figures required per component.

Perhaps you could measure movement over a set period of time to calculate any differences, so once you obtain a correct value as your preset, Use it to display Preset and actual amounts.

Question: what do you do after your test if the viscosity is wrong, Our material is heated so we usually check temperature readings

Hope this is of some help

Steve
If this is any help ill post the system in more detail.

Tom,

The second link you provided seems to match what the origional poster was looking for. I directed him to this thread.

Good Work! Thanks,

Mike