Windows 7 "Windows XP mode"

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
I created a VM on my Windows 7 laptop. I created a blank copy of it. Then installed Factory Talk View Machine Edition into it. Have not actually got this to download/upload yet. Now I want to create another copy of the blank for RSLogix 5000. In doing more reading, I could of just used Windows XP Mode. Can I create more then 1 Windows XP mode virtual machine to keep them seperate?

Thanks
George

Hi,

I currently have several XP Mode VMs running to keep Siemens, Rockwell etc. completely separate. The only issue I have found (which rarely bothers me) is that I can only run one instance of an XP mode VM at any one time. Someone else may have a work around for this, but it doesn't cause me too much bother.

Hope this helps.

Rob

I use VMWare for all my virtualization needs and I also use the "Windows XP Mode" as well.

The license for Windows XP Mode is part of Windows 7 Pro, and it only allows a single instance of XP Mode to run, hence you cannot run multiple XP Mode based virtual machines at once. You can have any number of XP Mode based virtual machines available in your library. I have a "blank" XP Mode based virtual machine, and as I require more virtual machines for various software I clone my original blank XP mode VM and install the required software.

Now, if you need/want to run multiple "XP" virtual machines you would require a separate XP vm built from an actual XP installation cd complete with software key. I do believe you can take a line out of the XP mode virtual machine configuration file (at least with VMWare) which disables the "xp mode" identity and upon power up it prompts you for a software license key to continue.

George,

Exactly as Paul described above. I normally get the base XP mode exactly as I want it, then just clone when required.

Rob