Tips and info for new automation engineers

AdamG8GXP

Hi!

So I am electrical engineer (designing, programming PLCs and HMI, commissioning) in automation for, on and off, over 3 years. I really like this and looks like this is good career to be in in the USA.

So far I learned to:
Never take out my lappy when on service call that has nothing to do the with PLC program.
Only tell customers what owner of company let's me ( :oops: it's just the way it is here).
Always watch out for my own safety as nobody else will.
Make sure PLC will never divide by 0.
Cross reference with "look into overlapping areas" checked.

Please share other tips from your experience. They could save lives, time, sanity or anything else.

For me personally,

1. Take it slow. Some things take years to master.
2. Must sure the E-stop button works and that it is within reach.
3. Don't turn anything on before asking. You could hurt somebody, break something or ruin a process.
4. Always have protective gears like a fire resistance shirt and safety glasses.
5. Take some time to plan things out before doing it.
6. Lastly, don't die on the job.

That's it for now but I'm sure there are many more tricks and tips that I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Be slow and deliberate with everything you do.

You drive the logic don't let it drive you. Avoid spaghetti code.
Check for people ask for permission then check for people again.
Carry red danger tape with you. Yellow tape is be cautious when crossing Red means don't cross it. BIG MACHINES that you can't see all the way around means you don't know it people are in the hazard you are about to start.

People (operators) will intentionally lie = "I didn't do anything" vs. "I pressed the On, Start and Stop buttons at the same time to see what would happen".
Machines (logic) will unintentionally lie = self-diagnostics is only as good as the sensors and programming. A blown fuse in the encoder circuit may result in a 'failed motor' error message.

once you've got it running right – then THINK:

what will happen if the power fails while the machine is in Step 1 – in Step 2 – in Step 3 – etc. ??? ....

and then (more importantly) ...

what will happen when the power comes back on again ??? ...

Please share other tips from your experience. They could save lives, time, sanity or anything else.
When checking a 2300 volt (and higher) main breaker to see if it is off, do not assume that the wires on the bottom are the load side. 999 times out of 1000 you will be right, but you only get to be wrong 1 time in your life. Sometimes people have wired the incoming line to the bottom of the breaker (because the main was replaced and the old leads were too short to reach the top of the new breaker). I know of at least 3 men who would still be alive if they had not made that assumption on a 12.6 KV switch.

Last edited:
The last copyrighted PLC Law is worth repeating here for educational purposes.​
PLC LAW #51 - ALL CODE THAT CAUSES MACHINERY, HAZMAT, OR HEAVY PRODUCT OF ANY KIND TO INTERACT WITH OPERATORS IN ANY WAY SHOULD BE WRITTEN TO PROTECT PEOPLE FIRST, ENVIRONMENT SECOND, EQUIPMENT THIRD, AND PRODUCTION LAST.
That rule applies to all those labeled STOP buttons on assembly-line control panels that really do not STOP anything. We all know that 90% of PLC programs protect production first, equipment second, then the environment, and people last.

Last edited:
People (operators) will intentionally lie = "I didn't do anything" vs. "I pressed the On, Start and Stop buttons at the same time to see what would happen".
Machines (logic) will unintentionally lie = self-diagnostics is only as good as the sensors and programming. A blown fuse in the encoder circuit may result in a 'failed motor' error message.

Operators, technicians, and ENGINEERS, will come up with almost any excuse sometimes or straight up deny something when they feel their job is on the line. It is human nature and is something we have to live with.

Whenever I write a program, I try to plot every possible scenario that could happen in run mode from an operator input stand point of view, such as what happens if they press both of these buttons at the same time, what happens if they push this when the machine is running (interlocks and one shots), what happens if they change these setpoints on the HMI, etc.

What I like about RSLogix is that you can compare two PLC programs and see what changes were made. What I would do if there's a call for a PLC acting funny is compare the current program in the processor to the original you have saved on your laptop. If there are differences, you can debug a lot faster to see what is going wrong. You can save the current program, download the original fresh copy, and observe the changes. You then have the failing copy on your hard drive to debug at your desk. Sometimes people like to wire up new I/O, nothing is documented, and they add new logic. Comparing the two programs is a great way to see what was changed and how it could affect the logic.

once you've got it running right – then THINK:

what will happen if the power fails while the machine is in Step 1 – in Step 2 – in Step 3 – etc. ??? ....

and then (more importantly) ...

what will happen when the power comes back on again ??? ...

How right you are! It is important to think this every step of the program. When I write a program, I look for 5 possible things that could happen at any time during my program...

What happens to the program/machine if there is...

a.) loss of power (upon power up, the machine should need to be restarted agian, not restart automatically)

b.) loss of communication such as a bad node, a cable is broken, loss of power to node, bad COMM card or board, COMM cable unplugged(do you leave outputs on, do they all turn off, etc)

c.) processor goes into program mode or a processor fault (software failure)

d.) a sensor, field device, or component in the control panel fails (aux contact, motor starter, photo eye, etc)(hardware failure)

e.) operator presses stop or start or the machine has a fault such as a jammed photo eye or a tripped out conveyor chain prox switch(make sure all necessary logic is reset before operator restarts machine, and that the machine will not start in half way of sequence and instantly without annunciator start up time delay warning)

There is also the 6th, UNKOWN thing that can happen. That is when a lot of troubleshooting takes place.

a.)power failure
b.)COMM failure
c.)program mode or software failure
d.)hardware failure
e.)operator input to machine / machine fault
f.)???

When checking a 2300 volt (and higher) main breaker to see if it is off, do not assume that the wires on the bottom are the load side. 999 times out of 1000 you will be right, but you only get to be wrong 1 time in your life. Sometimes people have wired the incoming line to the bottom of the breaker (because the main was replaced and the old leads were too short to reach the top of the new breaker). I know of at least 3 men who would still be alive if they had not made that assumption on a 12.6 KV switch.

You are also 100% correct. Never assume anything until you verify it, especially in a new work envirnoment or unfimiliar turf (different plants, different machines, different power distribution systems, etc).

I am used to seeing blue colored wires as 24VDC, red as 120V control voltage, black as line voltage, white as neutral, green as ground, etc. Before I get too confident digging around in control panels with all blue wires, I take the time to measure them out with a voltage meter and identify the power sources in the panel (and then after that, still treat everything as if it's live.)I've seen blue control wiring as 120V, red wires as 12VDC, and white wires that should be neutrals miswired as line power. I have also seen circuit breakers wired on the bottom side as line, and top side as load --- VERY UNSAFE.

You are also 100% correct. Never assume anything until you verify it, especially in a new work envirnoment or unfimiliar turf (different plants, different machines, different power distribution systems, etc).

I am used to seeing blue colored wires as 24VDC, red as 120V control voltage, black as line voltage, white as neutral, green as ground, etc. Before I get too confident digging around in control panels with all blue wires, I take the time to measure them out with a voltage meter and identify the power sources in the panel (and then after that, still treat everything as if it's live.)I've seen blue control wiring as 120V, red wires as 12VDC, and white wires that should be neutrals miswired as line power. I have also seen circuit breakers wired on the bottom side as line, and top side as load --- VERY UNSAFE.

I second that...
A rule to live by (literally :nodi:) Always assume the circuit to be live until proven otherwise. We had a 3 phase 480 volt 30 amp granulator outlet melt down once, and I locked power out at the circuit breaker but before touching anything I checked for voltage with my meter and found it was still powered up. Turns out the breaker had failed on. When the electrician got here he went to touch it right away. When I stopped him he looked at me like I had two heads..."you didn't lock this out yet?" he asked. When I told him I did but there was still power present he told me I locked out the wrong breaker. After confirming I indeed had the correct breaker he just went about his business. No "thanks for saving my life" or anything. Just shows how a little complacency an be VERY dangerous.

My two cents,

Dave

Do it right the first time - learn to hate the fact they you may have made a boo boo and have to go back to fix it.

Prepare a testing document to test all scenarios and mark it off as you go through the procedure. Excel is excellent for this.

If you have someone from your customer with you during commissioning go through the spread sheet with them - they may wish to add things to the procedure - and get them to sign it off too.

Big one around here for me is:

If there is an issue on a machine, 99% of the time it is something that can be seen with your eyes and has nothing to do with the program. The program only does exactly what it is told to do when it is told to do it. The program doesn't change.

PLC Law # 20 & 22 :)

Last edited:
Here are mine

1. Only use an output contact in your code once!
2. Ensure that tank high levels are used normally closed & tie it in with the filling system.
3. Ensure you know how to use a multi-meter to determine a short/open condition.
4. Test, test and test again. Set up a simulator and test your Code/HMI before releasing it to Production. Production will still find your bugs.
4. Do NOT become complacent (wear proper PPE, measure, verify everytime)! Electricity is unforgiving, consider yourself blessed if you get a second chance.
5. If system worked right for some time and suddenly stops working it is usually because of operator error (which you now have to correct) or an end device. PLCs don't change their code.
6. Do NOT use electrical controls to fix mechanical issues, and if you do make sure that you have a signed document from someone higher up the foodchain giving you the go ahead.

Personal:
1. Use relay outputs. Triacs have a bad habit of burining out closed.

Last edited:
Things I would say . Check it yourself. One time I took over a shift and the previous shift guy told me he check the motor it is fine. I didnt believe him . I checked and found it was grounded. So Check it yourself.

One important thing. Dont work alone. Take some guy with you.Even though he is a mechanic .It really helps. One electrician in my company was electrocuted , luckily the mechanic saved him.

Dont jump to program when troubleshooting. Think Like a machine. Check alarms ,breakers overloads. Check if it mechanically free. Ask the Operators.

One Last thing. Safety first. Dont try to rush. Think Safety and Work safely