RsLogix5 technique

jrs2563

Hi all...I have a question...I am converting a temperature signal into a 4-20madc signal. Going in its 4-20ma = 0 - 100%. I want to invert this signal, changing the temperature signal/0-100% to temperature signal in but 4-20ma = 100 - 0%. I had done this a couple years ago but forgot what I did to accomplish this. Im using an AB Plc5/20 and rslogix5. Anybody able to refresh my memory? Thanks...Jim Schroll

SUB Instruction

Hi Jim,

I believe you can use SUB (Subtract) Instruction to invert the value of the input. Source A will contain a fix value (ex. 100 to represent 100%) and source B contains the changing value from the input. Note the result of subtraction is positive.

Just a thought in mind and hope it helps.

Regards,

Vic Jasareno

Nope, the conversion that is in the analog card can only handle negative to positive rates: Like -100 to 0, or 0 to +100, not 0 to -100. Dont know why, but thats how it is.

And because the MIN/MAX is in BCD the limits are +/- 9999.

So you have to do it in the program if your analog conversion cannot fit into these restrictions.

Edit: Temperature in % ????

Last edited:
I thank you guys for getting back to me on this. Upon reading my original item it might be a little confusing. Im not editing temperature...what Im doing is taking a signal from a Type K thermocouple (0-2400 deg F.) into a moore temperature converter, putting out 4-20 ma. I want to control a small damper by the 4-20 but I want to have it reverse acting. I want to invert that 4-20 output into 20-4. That is what Im trying to do. I am using an analog output card 1771-ofe. Hope this clears things up a bit. Thanks again. :D

Try using a PID control block. I assume that you are controlling to a set point. In the the PID block set error to SP-PV , as the temperature increases the output will decrease. Turn the integral and derivative off (=0) and set the gain to 1. If you are not using a set point then set the SP to the maximum temperature you will get and the output will be 0 at this point and maximum when the temperature is minimum. Scale your modules to suit the PID block. If the 4-20 mA output does not follow correctly then adjust the gain and/or the scaling until it does.

y = mx + b ... the equation that would not die!

your description is a little ambiguous ... but I think that this is the approach you're looking for ...

if you're working with values of 4 to 20 (as in milliamps) try this:

multiply your original number by -1 and then add 24 ...

that should give you values from 20 to 4 ...

if you're working with values of 0 to 4095 (as in data to the output module) try this:

multiply your original number by -1 and then add 4095 ...

that should give you values from 4095 to 0 ...

Use the PID block! Get to know the PID block. Love the PID block.
The PID block will solve many of lifes problems.....

Thanks Oldgearhead and others. I was able to solve my problem thanks to you experts on here. Very educational bunch of folks!! Thanks again...Jim :D