Red Lion G308 to Panasonic FP2SH

wmeaneyjr

Hi All,

I'm making some real progress since all my lasts posts...i'm really starting to unlock the full potential of my Red Lion G3 (and understand lots of C-based logic!)

However, my problem comes in trying to get the Red Lion to talk to my PLC (Panasonic FP2SH) over the Tool port.

I have been using the COM port for the time being, as we ordered the wrong cable. Now the PLC doesn't seem to want to talk over the tool port. We've triple checked all the cabling and signaling, so its not in there. Here's what i have in my system registers for each port, and what i've set so it works.

FP2SH COM port
Communication mode - Mewtocol-COM Slave
Unit number - 2
Baud rate - 115200
Send Data Length - 8 Bits
Parity - None
Stop Bit - 1 bit

Tool Port
Unit Number - 1
Baud Rate - 115200
Sending Data Length - 8 Bits

G308 through COM (This works)
Driver - Panasonic - Matsushita FP Series - FP MEWTOCOL-COM
Baud - 115200
Data Bits - 8
Stop Bits - 1
Parity - none
FP2 Device Settings
Enable device? - Yes
Drop Number - 2
Advanced Settings - defaults

G308 through Tool Port (NOT WORKING)
All settings are the same as above, but the drop number is changed to 1

We have a piece of equipment that uses SECS/GEM protocols and needs to plug into the COM port, so our production machines we send out can NOT have the G3 running through the COM port.

According to RL support, my device MAY not be supported. Before I bemoan the waste of aquisition money and time spent programming the machine, I'd like to see if there's any way to get this to work.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

-Bill

I did a project with a G303 talking to a Panasonic FP0R through the Tool port, settings were the same as yours except I had the parity set to ODD. Comms updates were very slow, but were adequate for the application.
Could you add another serial card to the G308 and map the other piece of equipment (not sure what the SECS/GEM protocol runs over) to the Panasonic PLC via a gateway block?

Unfortunately, i don't think we can get that to happen. The other alternative would be to purchase a panasonic serial unit for the backplane.

I've tried setting parity to odd as well and it does not work. Don't know why....