Crimson 3 system variable for touch location

califflash

I'm looking into the feasibility of making a 'drag and drop' type slider for changing the speed of the machine. The existing slider in the legacy folder is close to what we would like but not exactly. The operator adjust speeds during the setup while looking at material rolling onto a tooling head. He should not take his eyes away during this time.

My thought was that I could make a widget and program to adjust the set point speed if there was a system variable, or work around, to determine the coordinates of the active touch location. I could then set the speed as a percentage of maximum based upon how far left or right the slider is drug.

I feel that having to tap multiple times on a slider bar is a little clunky. Alternatively, I will use ramp buttons but this has lag issues. I would like the operator to eventually figure out where on the slider he normally is and just touch it, then drag up and down while adjusting the tooling.

The only way that I know to do this, is to place a slider control behind another object on the screen. You can get data for a horizontal position or vertical (never tried both) You can cover up an object or pushbutton and still access it's function. I love using Hmi's, but I've usually found that anything that needs to be adjusted without looking at the screen, I prefer a physical button/potentiometer. There is no feedback, if you are not looking at the screen.

I tried it with a vertical and horizontal slider, and it only see's the topmost slider.

Also, to answer your question, the G3 doesn't support a dragging touch interface..... I'm thinking sliders are probably not your best solution, as the speed could change much more than the operator thinks it will.

Thanks for the help! I was believing it wasn't supported but couldn't find any confirmation.

I understand about the feedback and jumping. That's why I was hoping to drag. You have a little mor control that way. I most likely will be going hardware with this adjustment, but if I find a reasonable way to do it with the screen I'll post back here.