FactoryTalk/View - Tag Descriptions

jared1089

I am using FactoryTalk/View 6.10.

When I browse tags (controller or HMI tags) there is a column for display of tag descriptions but it is always blank - does not display the descriptions.

Is there a way to correct this situation - so that descriptions will display as an aid in sellecting the correct tag?

Thanks a bunch.

Jared

Yeah, I don't think this ever worked. Something for the future. But with Tag based PLCs, it isn't so much of an issue.

Thanks that is helpful to know.

I think it is very disappointing that by rev 6 they still cannot display tag descriptions. There are several aspects of the newer Rockwell (FactoryTalk/View and RSLogix5000) software that are strangely inferior- like using beta-ware.

Actually I got feedback from local rep.

I learned that in tag browse must right-click in blank area of dialog and select "show descriptions" - works for HMI and Memory tags only (not external tags).

Thanks for the clarification. I don't use many HMI or Memory tags. I guess that's why I never noticed. It would be usefull on occasion if direct tags would show descriptions too.

Thanks that is helpful to know.

I think it is very disappointing that by rev 6 they still cannot display tag descriptions. There are several aspects of the newer Rockwell (FactoryTalk/View and RSLogix5000) software that are strangely inferior- like using beta-ware.

I think Rockwell has an ugly wake up call over FTV coming on a rapidly approaching dawn. With the looming demise of 32 bit and the end of WinXP support customers are going to soon be forced to migrate forward from RSView32. When they run head on into the *ahem*challenges*ahem* of half baked FTV they are going to start looking at competing packages.