This program has been protected from user access

yang1216

hi all,
We have a SLC 5/04, it worked very well for years. Today We wanted to change the program. When I uploaded program from the SLC, the RSLogix500 told me "This program has been protcted from user access", and the software window was just blank.
Have you ever met this problem, and how to solve it, please help us.
Thank you.

You need the password or master password for the project. Look in RSLogix500 Help and search for Protection Options.
I am sure we did not have any password for this SLC program. In fact, we do not allow engineers to set password for PLC program. And most engineers even do not know how to set it.

I'm pretty sure that what you're dealing with is called an "OEM Lock" - or sometimes an "OEM Protection" scheme ... OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer" ...

basically the person who originally programmed the system set a specific bit in the processor's status file ... once that's been done you can't access the program in the processor again unless you have the original program file (the RSS file) available on your programming computer for RSLogix500 to "see" it ...

in simplest terms, the original RSS file serves as your "key" – and without that key you can't access the program inside the processor ...

so ...

do you have a copy of the file? ... if you don't have it, can you get a copy from the original manufacturer? ...

note: there are also "password" protection schemes – but, to the best of my knowledge, the message that you're reporting is not related to a password ... this is a different problem ...

NOTE: this forum doesn't usually discuss methods of how to "hack" or "crack" passwords and other such protection schemes – this one included ... specifically, I'm not telling you how to "get around" the protection on your system – I'm only telling you what the type of protection consists of ...

Last edited:
Okay, then if not a password, then the "Allow future access" bit is turned off. This tickbox is found under controller properties on the Compiler tab. This is also known as the OEM lock. If you have a copy of the correct program, then while offline, make sure that checkbox is ticked and then download it to the controller (and store to memory module if using EEPROM).

EDIT: I see Ron covered it pretty well.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. I will try to contact the supplier and got the original program file.
Thanks again for all your help.