Panelview communications

CENTER

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was wondering if some one would have some insight in to what I am doing wrong. I have a Panelview 1500 Plus that has been communicating with a MicroLogix 1400 using DF1, and now I am trying to set it up for Ethernet communications. I upgraded the firmware from 5.0 to 5.10 used the transfer wizard to download the program and thought I was in business. The program ran OK for about 2 minutes and then could not find the MicroLogix tried it again could not get it to communicate. Down loaded the firmware again played around transferring the program and it ran for a few minutes, and that is a hit or miss deal. Every thing works fine if I test the program from my laptop and I removed the switch and used a crossover cable between the Panelview and the MicroLogix and that didn’t work. Tec Connect thinks it’s the Panalview but I have my doubts. Since I am basically an electrician with a computer I could use some expert advice. Thank in advance for your time.

FactoryTalk 6.10.jpg

Fault.jpg

panelview.jpg

Is it possible there's a duplicate IP address on the network? The fact that it works when the network is reduced to two devices makes me think there is a problem with the network itself or how some part of it is configured.

I have caused issues by adding a duplicate IP address to our networks here, and one time I got away with it (no apparent symptoms, I noticed it by luck and fixed it), one time the device detected the dupliacte IP, reported the condition and stopped talking, and the other time I had symptoms like yours.

No the only things on the network are my laptop, the panelview and the PLC plus I tried the crossover cable.

Did you receive any messages/error log file while you create the application file.

1. Have you choose the target device in the RS Link comm [Enterprise] - or

2. Have you select/click 'Replace communications' option box in the transfer utility. [inside the 'When Application Run' box]

Regards

No errors when i create the application file.
The target was choose and when I run the program I choose the replace comm option.
I am stumped

Have you ruled out all the cables? If so, then the original diagnosis was probably right, you have a PV+ whose e-net port is dying a slow and painful death.

I do know that a cable problem can get the PV+ stuck not communicating.

Sometimes, they can reconnect pretty quickly, but often with the PV+ they simply have to be power cycled to solve it.

Yeah, with the PV+, it would not surprise me if there was some software/firmware problem at the root of this, but it's probably time to pony up for a replacement to rule out hardware.

I guess I have no choice, I have gone over the cables. Since the download wizard works on the same network I think it's a firmwere problem, but don't know how to work it out.

Last edited:
Check the Ethernet port configuration, specifically the "Auto-Negotiate" setting.

In this case, both the MicroLogix and the PanelView should be set for "Auto-Negotiate". Don't set either one for "100/Full".

Go online with the MicroLogix while the PanelView is communicating with it, and look at the statistics for the Ethernet port, to see if there are any errors other than (or prior to) the timeout.

Ok here is what is going on now. I loaded the old DF1 program just to make sure the firmware up grade didn’t screw up anything and it didn’t. Then I upload the Ethernet program and as I expected it does not commutate so I am checking the channel status on the MicroLogix and there are no errors flip to the connection tab and there are 2 connections as I am looking at the connections a 3 pops up and the panalview is working. I run threw some tests load some recipes and play for 10 minutes all is good. Go and take a phone call come back and no communication and no errors on the MicroLogix channel status but I am back down to 2 connections. I try every thing from rebooting to downloading the program again but now the MicroLogix is only showing 1 connection. The only things I have connected on the network now are the PLC, HMI and my laptop, Oh and if you look on linx the panalview is active. Don’t know were to go from here?

Just an update and hopefully I can get some help. I had time to work on this problem today and connected the panalview directly to the MicroLogix and connected the laptop using the DF1 connection and I hade no communications, if I plugged and unplugged the Ethernet cable it would start to work and run for 10 minutes or so and then stop plug and unplug again it works. I tried a few different cables with the same result. The channel status shows no errors.

It might be worth using the ping continuous command the laptop on the network
on your laptop Start->Run->CMD->enter
ping 192.168.1.101 -t
this will continuous check the comms on the Panelview
this will let you see if the panelview looses comms
if this seems ok you can try it on
ping 192.168.1.104 -t
the Micrologix 1400
by doing this it might hi light were the problem is or not
Also have a read though http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1766-um001_-en-p.pdf
Look a round page 350 onwards this talks about ethernet and cable choose it looks like you can use a standard cable or a crossover.

I did ping both many times, but I did not know you could do a continuous ping. I will give it a try on Monday should let me know were the problem is? Because its strange I can upload or down load any time with no problem. It just seems to be a problem talking to each other.

Few weeks ago, i had a PV+700 that would randomly lose communications (it had been working for a year or so before hand). Could cycle power and it would work for a little while. Checked cabling, same issue. Ended up ordered a new logic module and fixed the problem.

If you do decided the panelview+ is bad, just remember you do no have the replace the entire Panelview. If your screen is in good shape, you can buy just the logic module. This saves you ALOT of money, especially on 15" screens.

Also, it may be worth checking with another PLC. Could be the ethernet port on your PLC is faulty.