HMI-what is it?

<b>H</b>uman <b>M</b>achine <b>I</b>nterface.

The term is frequently applied to electronic operator panels such as PanelView, Quick Panel, PanelMate, that replace pushbuttons, indicator lights, potentiometers, thumbwheels, panel meters, etc.

The term can also be applied to software packages such as Wonderware, Intellution, RSView, Cimplicity, etc that run on a PC. In addition to doing all the things the electronic operator panels can do, these add the ability to perform more complicated tasks like archiving production data, performing statistical calculations, connecting to multiple PLCs, scheduling, etc.

And don't forget the even older OIT - Operator Interface Teminal.

Steve Bailey said:

The term can also be applied to software packages such as Wonderware, Intellution, RSView, Cimplicity, etc that run on a PC. In addition to doing all the things the electronic operator panels can do, these add the ability to perform more complicated tasks like archiving production data, performing statistical calculations, connecting to multiple PLCs, scheduling, etc.

Which is why they are also called SCADA - Supervisory Control And Data Aquisition.

It's not a standard, but I tend to refer to the hardware interfaces (Panelview, et al) as HMI, and the software (Wonderware, &co.) as SCADA.

Now if only the rest of the world would....

Last edited:
Allen/Steve,

I'm convinced. Up till today, I never really knew what SCADA stood for...had a pretty good feel for what it was (~ HMI) but not the actual meaning.

Now if only the REST of the world would.....

If you want a painless, fun, and free introduction to HMI/SCADA, go to:

http://www.theautomationbookstore.com/public.html

CLick the "Go!" button next to "View Current Order" and then order item number 9398-VW32STCD. This is a FREE CD with a (more-or-less) fully-functional copy of AB/Rockwell's RSView32 HMI system. It has a decent tutorial and online reference manuals to get you started and lots of interesting samples to play with. (Once you've played with these for awhile, start dissecting them to learn how they work. This is an EXCELLENT way to learn marketable job skills). The catch? The demo only works for two hours at a time ... but you can always save your work and just restart it over and over.

And if you already have a licensed (non-free, not included with CD) copy of RSLinx available (no, not RSLinx Lite), you can go beyond the samples and actually run this demo version of RSView32 as an interface for your AB processors. (During the two-hour time limit of course).

Note: Your local AB distributor MAY have a copy of this lying around. We pass them out at trade shows, etc.

Best regards.

Ron Beaufort said:
If you want a painless, fun, and free introduction to HMI/SCADA....
download...AB/Rockwell's RSView32 HMI system......

Sigh.

Changing the world takes time....

It would help if the world cooperated....

Last edited: