Logix5000 v20 Task Monitor not working & slow

Paul351W

I recently installed Logix5000 v20.01 on my laptop computer, and installed the v3.0.3.0 Task Monitor along with it, after removing the old version. I also have v16.03 installed, and had the Task Monitor that came with that software package, which worked perfectly fine, with the exception of locking up when you closed the program.

I am having several problems with the new Task Monitor program: it will not allow me to monitor PLC's that are multiple ethernet levels deep, and when I try to connect to a PLC it will allow me to select, the program consumes 100% of the CPU time, and never connects with the PLC.

Anyone else ran into anything similar to this? I found something on the knowledge base saying the 100% CPU useage is "normal" but the program doesn't even connect to the PLC for me.

Last edited:
It is "normal" for the PLC processor to be at 100% usage if you are running a continuous task.

It is not normal for your PC cpu to be at 100% while running the task monitor.

It is using 100% of the PC cpu when trying to connect to a PLC. A "Please Wait" dialog box comes up with a progress bar, and the text changes every so often but it has not connected to a PLC yet. Once it errored out, and the other times after 10 or so minutes it is still attempting to connect.

I read in one help file for the program that it requires RSLinx Classic Gateway and the v20 Logix5000 install put RSLinx Classic OEM on my computer, could that be the cause?