Panelview Plus - Binary Display

brianlhobbs

I am trying to use a Panelview Plus to Graphically display the Binary Value of a "Analog" Integer tag.

An older Post
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=31707

Showed how to do this with RSView32.

The images shown below below, are from this older post and do a pretty good job of describing what I am trying to do with a PanelView Plus (RSView ME).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...........

A62507A.JPG

So for the circle on the far right try using TagA.0 then the next circle to the left use TagA.1 and so on. This would reference TagA at the bit level

Thanks for the suggestion, dmroeder, but RSView ME, does not like that type of syntax.

If a tag is a "Analog" type of tag, the only way to make use of any "Bit Level" reference, is to use some type of "Bitwise Expression".

However, I have not been successful in figuring out a working method to use the expression commands.

In 'HMI Tags' create a seperate 'digital' tag for each bit referencing the 'analog' tag but appending a '.0', '.1', '.2' etc. Then use those for the visibility.

Thanks bernie,

In my application, I am tying to display the "Binary Value" for the lower "8 Bits" of 100 different integer words.

I already have "Analog Tags" for these words.

I am looking for a method that allows a "Screen Based" expression to accomplish the binary display.

I am trying to avoid creating separate discrete tags. For my application, using the 100 existing tags on a screen seems OK.

However, having to create 800 discrete tags would be prohibitive.

Earlier today, I followed the syntax above in FTViewME (with an internal HMI tag) but the bitwise operations did not appear to work (in test mode on the desktop). Then I had to go do some actual work, and won't get another chance to tinker with this today.

Basically, I confirm what the OP said, it worked in RSView32, doesn't in FctMeWare...perhpaps the expression needs to be wrappered with some brackets and/or designated as a boolean result?

EDIT1: Okay, so I got some more time...FctMeDiagnostics shows:
"Invalid expression 'test & 1': Reason: 'Error at line 1 column 9: Invalid floating point operation."

This must be because my HMI tag I called "test" is explicitly designated as (signed) integer. o_O

I bet it would It might work with a real (integer) tag. Maybe all memory tags are floats no matter what you designate?

EDIT2: Nope, you just gotta choose integer before you ever save the tag, or restart FctMeView if you ever change the tag type...then...it actually works!

Nutshell: You must specify integer data type, default will not work. If you "Accept" a tag and later change its data type, you must restart Factory Talk View for that change to actually take place.

Last edited:
Why can't you write expression(s):
Instead of TagA & 1, Use: If TagA=1 Then 1 Else 0
Instead of TagA & 2, Use: If TagA=2 Then 1 Else 0
Instead of TagA & 4, Use: If TagA=4 Then 1 Else 0
Instead of TagA & 8, Use: If TagA=8 Then 1 Else 0
etc..

James

Why can't you write expression(s):
Instead of TagA & 1, Use: If TagA=1 Then 1 Else 0

James

Even that will fail if TagA is internally defined as a real (floating point) number. As long as you shut down and restart factory talk view studio after setting TagA data source type to integer, then it will work. What threw me was caused by me accepting the tag and then looking at it again, changing it to integer, but because I did not restart factrybalk, that tag was still being treated as a float. Just don't accept a tag until you set the data property.

After that, it is likely that you can specify the numeric format to be binary in the display/entry objects, although I've not tried that on a PV+, it is easy with crimson 3.0

OkiePC,

Brilliant !!!!!

Thank You!!

I have successfully implemented a working version of what I was trying to accomplish.

Just as you said, if I change from the "default" tag type to a "Integer" tag type, bitwise compare instructions work!

Bit 00 = Integer & 1
Bit 01 = Integer & 2
Bit 02 = Integer & 4

I have put these statements into the "Color Animation" attribute of a screen graphic image. And "It Works Like Magic"!!

I have actually downloaded this application to a PanelView Plus 1250, and it's GREAT!!!

Thank You so much,

Brian