OT - Disconnect handle Selection Help

Tim Ganz

I am tring to select a cable operated handle for a 140 U molded case breaker that will be used for a main panel disconnect.

The link below is where I am looking at.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229254/305540/3087073/tab2.html

Looks like I have a choice between non metallic,stainless steel and Painted metal.

I would like to get some direction / help with making a choice. What are the pro's and con's of each one?

What is commonly used?

I have only a little personal experience with that style from A/B, but I found their hardware to be better than CH or Square D.

Here, I use stainless only, the others rot away in a few months...(heavy washdown in most areas).

I haven't used the "non-metallic" but the last one I bought was for a 400A disconnect switch which takes too much force to move for me to use a plastic operator.

Be careful with cable length, it is easier than you might think to end up with one that is too long or too short to fit well.