Allen Bradley Micrologix 1400 Ethernet to DH+ messaging

RKW1138

I have a Micrologix 1400 that needs to read & write a few integers & reals to three SLC5/04's that are connected via DH+ network.

To bridge the gap between the Ethernet port of the Micrologix and the existing DH+ network I plan to use the AN-X-AB-DHRIO converter made by Prosoft. http://www.prosoft-technology.com/p...e_gateways/ethernet/ethernet_ip/an_x_ab_dhrio

Has anyone here used this converter before to send messages between Allen Bradley PLC's?

I'm looking to create MSG instructions in the Micrologix 1400 PLC. When configuring the MSG instruction if I select channel 1 for the Ethernet port I'm required to setup IP addresses in the MultiHop. But what I don't understand is how the converter knows which of the three SLC5/04 DH+ Nodes I'm sending the message to? I guessing I need to somehow map DH+ Node addresses to IP addresses.

Welcome to the Forum !

The User Manual for the AN-X says on page 20 that you "can send messages" from the Ethernet side to the DH+ side..... but doesn't provide details.

Get in touch with Prosoft technical support; they are very likely to have an example document, at least one that gives a ControlLogix example.

I've used the RIO scanner/adapter version of this module but never the DH+ version.

A different option

Hi

I've seen some cases where they want to send a message from a micrologix to a SLC5/04, and for a smaller cost, they found a gateway called GW1000. And it is good quality too.

I think the way that you have to configure the MSG instruction in multihop is setting the IP address of the gateway, then the backplane and then a DHRIO module channel, or something like that, and at the end, you select the DH+ number.

Here's how I configured a MSG from a 1400 to a 5/04 via ethernet to a DHRIO then DH+ to the 5/04. I hope this can help in your application.

John

1400 MSG.jpg

Here's how I configured a MSG from a 1400 to a 5/04 via ethernet to a DHRIO then DH+ to the 5/04. I hope this can help in your application.

John

Would it stand to reason then that since the manual states that the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO appears in slot 1 in a 4 slot chassis, the Logix Backplane Slot # in the multi-hop setup up would be 1?

I have a similiar application upcoming where i need to use a ML1400 to message data to a SLC 5/04 via DH+ through the Ethernet IP gateway.

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 05 08.31.jpg