Siemens s5-95U

NSG

Hi, I have a machine with a S5-95U plc......with a problem.

Last week we had a fault in an inverter unit, which melted some cables in the panel, I have now repaired all the cables and replaced the faulty unit.

On power up the machine would not run and the red stop LED was lit on the plc.

Having searched this forum I learned how to re load the program from the eeprom:

remove battery while powered up
switch off
drink cup of tea
switch on
replace battery.

this worked green LED lit and all was well until I started testing functions of the machine, another unit faulted and so I shut down the machine and disconnected it.

On power up all was well, did some testing of transformer outputs and the powered down the machine again while I checked a wiring diagram.

On switch on the red LED was lit on the plc and now re loading the program will not change it.

Help.....

NSG

It is absolutely necessary to leave the S5-95 PLC switched off without batteries for at least 5 minutes.
This is the only way to ensure that the CPU undergoes an overall reset.

Perhaps the battery need to be replaced

Can you get on line with any programming software - or are you just reloading from the eeprom?
There are other reasons the fault led may come on - loose modules, for instance.
It sounds like you need to view the "Istack" fault log, for which you need software!

Hi, Thanks

I have waited for more than 5 mins before the resets.

I do not have software to go online, I clearly need an expert to log on for me.

Any suggestions for someone in my area? what software will they need?

Cheers

NSG

Hi, Thanks

I have waited for more than 5 mins before the resets.

I do not have software to go online, I clearly need an expert to log on for me.

Any suggestions for someone in my area? what software will they need?

Cheers

NSG
Siemens s5 - there are others, "Quadriga" for instance.

I can only suggest t'internet or call any local Siemens integrators you know.

If you loose 24v+ to one of the i/o cards I think the cpu goes out of run. Check it is where it should be.

I may even have a 95u processor somewhere!

I am near Ipswich - so a fair way from you!

Last edited:
Siemens s5 - there are others, "Quadriga" for instance.

I can only suggest t'internet or call any local Siemens integrators you know.

If you loose 24v+ to one of the i/o cards I think the cpu goes out of run. Check it is where it should be.

I may even have a 95u processor somewhere!

I am near Ipswich - so a fair way from you!

Quadriga, now THERE is a blast from the past. Is it still available? I remember looking at the brochures years ago, but soldiered on with the old S5 that
I grew up with since my PG675 days.

Quadriga, now THERE is a blast from the past. Is it still available? I remember looking at the brochures years ago, but soldiered on with the old S5 that
I grew up with since my PG675 days.
My copy comes with a parallel port dongle. I am hoping to replce my S5 plc's this year so I dont rely on a "Windows 98" laptop!!!!!