RS500 to RS5000 conversion

PaperMiller

Anyone have a good method of converting an RS500 file to RS5000? When using the conversion tool, I am left with mostly "e" errors in the new .acd file. Do I have to recreate the tags in the new file?

Last edited:
I have never used this function
However, as the RS5000 needs the variable to be defined I guess yes.
But you might get around this by using the export/inport to CSV function.
I honestly dont know so good luck

I haven't used this tool either, but have heard that it never converts all the old tag names for you.
The "e's" are indeed indicating an undefined tag. Look for the tags in the rung with the "?"s underneath. You can quickly create these by right-clicking on the undefined tag and selecting "create new". From here you can define the tag type, size (if an array), and scope. Most of the time the type will default to the correct type for the instruction its placed in (Timer for TON, Bool for an OTE, DINT for a MOV destination etc)

I have found it to be more trouble than it's worth.

In almost all myc ases by the time I figured out all the errors and recoded what could not transfer I coul have almost rewriten the program and had a much cleaner end result. YMMV.

I tried using the built in conversion for a project last year for a machine that was being updated to Compact Logix. I found that it did not do that bad of a job for converting basic code. I found the best thing to do was to export the tag database from the logix 500 program to a .csv file, modify this as required then import it into Logix 5000. I then used the old program as a reference then wrote new code for the Compact Logix. I found that this was faster then trying to correct translation issues and allowed me to take advantage of the features of Logix 5000.

I used the converter once on a PLC5 to Compactlogix upgrade. Most of the program I wrote new. As others said, it is cleaner, and can make full use of the Logix processor. I had one section of ladder however that was uncommented, seemed overly complicated, but didn't want to redo it the way I thought it was working.

I deleted all but the ladder I wanted, and did a conversion. Worked fairly well for the most part. It converted my address from B3/17 to an array B3[1].1 converted my timers to 0.001 resolution and adjusted the Presets accordingly. I just needed to assign my I/O aliases on the new chassis.

Convert to 5000

This is the manual method I have used in the past. Requires quite a few steps but can be accomplished rather quickly. appox. a few hours. It is quicker than redoing the whole program from scratch. If you have any questions feel free to ask.