RSLinx does not run as a service

MQuintan

Hello:

I am using RSLinx 2.43. When I try to run it as a service, nothing happens. When I dont run as a service it seems to run OK.

I looked into the event viewer and it says "the RSLinx service depends on the Harmony service which failed to start because the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion"
I then used a software called depends.exe to see what Harmony (RSOBSERV.EXE) dependency was causing the problem and it came out with " At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module". The files identified are:
c:\winnt\system32\KERNEL32.DLL,
c:\winnt\system32\NTDLL.DLL
c:\winnt\system32\MPR.DLL

I have tried re-installing RSLinx, repairing windows files with SFC.exe and am not sure where to go next. Any Ideas?

Are you required to keep using version 2.43 ? What operating system are you running ? Is this a new installation or one that has failed in service ?

Version 2.43 of RSLinx Classic was released in 2004, so it's getting a little gray.

If you are running windows 7, running it as a service may not work, or it may work and not show you an icon in the tray, until it is called by an application.

The first thing to do is blow away harmony files. This fixes at least half my RSLinx problems and never hurts them.

If that doesn't fix things try this:
Run rslinx as a service.
Open RSLogix and try to browse to a controller to trigger RSLinx to start. If it starts as an application, find RSLinx.exe in task manager and right click to drill into its properties.

There somewhere is a place to set it up for manual or automatic start when running as a service.

If all else fails, version 2.57 is a trusty upgrade in my experience.

Last edited:
I'm running w2k sp4. I can install a later version of RSLinx however, I want to continue using the old master disk activation method.