S7 300 Profibus Configuration

cottagewood

I have a system comprising an S7 315-2DP as a master with 12 profibus slaves connected. I've uploaded the PLC program and hardware config.
In the hardware config there appears to be nothing referencing the 12 slave devices.
The PLC program looks like it's communicating with the slaves using SFC14 and SFC15, could someone point me in the direction of how the PIW s and PQW s in the user program are connected the slave addresses

Thanks in advance
Andy

If the Profibus slaves are not referenced in the hardware config the controller does not know they are present. The slave information will need to be added to the Profibus network.

Rich

Rich,
That's what I thought, but the system works, so somehow they have configured it without me being able to see it in the hardware config.
When ever I have uploaded a system with profibus previously, I have always seen reference to the slaves even if I don't have the GSD file, it just gives an error but you can still see the addressing.
This config doesn't show anything other than the master

There is another utility called COM Profibus made by Siemens, is it possible it was configured with that, although I would have still expected to see something in the hardware config

Profibus.jpg hardware config.jpg

There's just the one PLC on the network, the MPI port is connected to a SCADA via Softing Netlink, I think the Softing has an OPC server on the SCADA, I did wonder if they were passing through the PLC to get to the slaves and then passing the data back to the PLC but I discounted that as daft.
Also, if you power down one of the inverters, the PLC Bus fault light comes on, so some how the controller must know that the slaves are present.

Open Online

You probably already tried this but:

If in the hardware config. if you go to station, open online, are there still no slaves present?

Hello cottonwood;
What are the slaves, exactly? Make and model?
If they are not from Siemens, is it possible that you do not have the gsd files for them in the Profibus catalog (where you select slaves for a Profius netwpork setuo, in HWConfig)?

Your CPU must know something about these slaves or it would not be able to exchange data over Profibus. So the gsd files must have been loaded on the programmig computer originally.
But the gsd files do not reside in the configuration or the program, they are located in the programming PC. And they cannot be uploaded from the PLC memory.

If you cannot locate these slaves in the Profibus cataolg of your setup of Step 7, you should locate them from the websites of the manufacturers of the slaves, and integrate them in the Profibus Catalog.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Hi Daniel
You don't need the GSD files to upload the configuration, Step 7 will warn you that you don't have them but it will still show a node albeit without a graphic or node info. as it happens I do have some of the GSD files as we have the slaves on other plant that I have programmed, so if that were the case those nodes would at least show.
If you don't have GSD file you can't create new nodes.

L D

It's amazing that when you have to explain a problem to someone by writing it makes you think more clearly, now you have asked that, I think I've just spotted how it's being done, I'll look further and post back

Edit

Looks like that was a false hope, I noticed the FC1 nand FC2 in the Xref above and thought they must be being used but they are not referenced any where in the code and further investigation tells me these are for when using a CP342-5 and there isn't one of those in the system.

Last edited: