Configure Simatic PLC with command line

WilliamEnter

We are looking for a tool with which we can program Simatic PLCs without using S7? Downloading the firmware via S7 is too complicated for regular operators and causes a higher failure rate.

Regards William

Simatic Manager has a command line interface that should allow you to do that with scripts or batch files.

No experience with it, but that is what I have heard. You can try search siemens support for "STEP7 command line interface" or "Simatic Manager command line interface".

edit: And no, you cannot do it without STEP7. There is no separate tool for downloading firmware to an S7 CPU.

@Jesper: thank you for reaction

@Mike: We have to build about two racks with electronics for a customer and download the right firmware. (our customer supplies us with the right firmware). The cabinet consists of multiple modules that should be configured. When operators without knowledge of S7 should do the configuration you can get a lot of problems/disturbances in the production proces. Therefor we ideally want to download the firmware with a simple program.

My mistake V2 used to be freeware.

However the V3 demo version has the same functionality as V2. Backup and restore is free. If you want to use the scripting functionality you have to pay.

You can select the blocks you want to restore so if you only want to change HW config select only the SBD blocks.

Download the demo and try for your self
Buddy-for-S7 V3 demo

Last edited:
Yes it does when doing a backup you will be prompted for password. I remember having some problems with F-CPU's but this was a while ago maybe its fixed now.

buddy for s7

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread but i hope some of you are still active.

I have a question about buddy-for-s7 software. Has anyone used it? I want to know what kind of licence it uses? Is it possible to use this software on more computers with the same licence or do I have to buy licence for each of them??

Also you can tell me something about your experience with the program - did it satisfy your needs?

Any information would be very helpful!!

Thank you in advance for all your answers!