PV 1400E to PV+ 1500 question

JonM

Hello all

I am trying to replace a PV 1400E using RIO with a new PV+ 1500 with a 2711P-RN6 card. The panel is being replaced as the brightness has gone down quite a bit and it isn't legible without turning off the lights in the room, the panel still works though.
I've never used RIO before and have only basic PV+ experience.
On paper (from Rockwell) it seems quite straightforward but I haven't been able to get it to work.

I followed the migration guide by Rockwell but the 2711P-RN6 card seems dead.

There are multiple threads on this kind of migration and after reading them I am somewhat closer (changed the pins on the blue hose connection) but I also wish that I had seen them before agreeing to do this.

In one thread on this site I saw speculation on 2711P-RN6 not being supported by FT-ME v6.0, which is what I have, but I have not found this information anywhere else to verify it. Will the communication card not work with this version of FT-ME?

When I connect the system neither of the lights on the 2711P-RN6 light up and the PLC5 channel starts blinking red.

One thing I've read about is autoconfigure for RIO, it's on my to-do list but I'm hesitant about changing something in the PLC since I'm setting the PV+ up exactly like the old panel. If I run autoconfigure and it doesn't work, will I be able to connect it to the old panel, run it again and get back to the old one working?

One thing that confuses me is that in the PV+ you can designate a device number for the panel, is that the same as a rack number?

If the PanelView Plus terminal that you have is a "v6" logic module (low-profile, cast aluminum, with an SD card instead of a CF card) then the 2711P-RN6 will not work as a RIO device. Only the Data Highway Plus driver is supported for the PV+6 and the 2711P-RN6.

Do you have the ability to move the PanelView to the DH+ network for this PLC-5 controller ? Is the PLC-5 equipped with Ethernet ?

RIO on the PanelView Plus is complex, cumbersome, and not very well documented. I used to be one of the experts, and I would have to do a lot of research to refresh my memory on the syntax and procedures.

Thank you very much for this reply, will stop knocking my head against the wall.

The PLC5 in question has DH+ as well so I will be moving it to that network. I'm a bit surprised that Rockwell sold us this panel when we asked for a panelview that could connect to RIO.