ABB VFD in current limit mode

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
What parameters need to be changed on an ABB ACS600 VFD to utilize current limiting?
I have a 480V/300HP drive and I want to keep it from exceeding 275 Amps.

Here's another thought. If you are running in DTC, why not limit torque instead of current. It's more accurate. And, usually, that's what limiting current is all about. Look in Group 20 for the Torque Limit Parameter and set that for the desired level. Leave current limit higher.

You're right....my typo...it is 20.03.

It has to be run in Scalar mode.
I am running a 240V motor with a 480V VFD ( there is a transformer between the VFD and the motor).......it is a 300 HP motor, so there is a big cost savings in doing it this way. I don't really like doing it this way, but it is what it is.

I believe the transformer will cause issues with DTC mode.

Last edited:
If Scalar mode is required, then, yes, limit the current.

However, if the motor is dual wound for 480VAC and 240VAC, then you don't really need the transformer and you can run DTC. The motor would be connected for 240VAC but, since the insulation is good for 480VAC, it can stand the 650VDC PWM pulses without the transformer.

Simply connect the motor as a 240VAC motor, connect it directly to the drive output terminals, and enter in Group 99 a 480V motor, 120hz. As long as the motor does not go above 60hz, it will never see more than the PWM equivalent of 240V.

Is this clear or have I confused the issue?

I think he will run into available current issues, Dick. He has a 480VAC 300HP drive connected to a 240V 300HP motor. He will need twice the current that is available from the drive. If it is actually a dual voltage motor I would rewire the motor to 480VAC. But I don't think that is an option for NetNathan.

Keith

It sounds like its a 240VAC wound motor only so that's the end of that. You are right, kamenges, he might end up short of current too.

Oh well, just a thought. Not necessarily a good thought!