CP1E High Speed Counter

ah pai

Hi, I'm totally a beginner in PLC. I 'm using Omron encoder 100p/r and connect to CIO 0.00 (black phase A only) to CP1E N30 PLC.

I've set up built in input and choose HSC 0 , linear mode, software reset , increment pulse.

I'can see it start counting at A270 & A271

My problem is :

1. i dont understad how it count the pulse. Are the value at A270 increment 1 for every pulse?

2. I see the value of A270 increment so fast maybe > 1000++ per rotation. Is it ok?

3. Let say , i want my encoder turns 5 rotation only and then stop. can i use CTBL function and set at D memory location as followed :
D100 #1 D101 # 500 (5 rotation) D102 #0 D103 #4 (int no.4)

I suspect that your encoder is sending either 1000 or 1024 pulses per revolution. You need to set D101 to a value like &5000 or &5120.

Be aware, that single phase encoder HSC count is not rollback or chatter-protected.
Probably, the fast count you observe is the chatter.
I would use differential encoder/HSC.

The HSC present value is being copied to A270 double word only once per scan.

check the encoder model number
it is either NPN or PNP - Also it may need a 'Pull up or down resistor'
by memory the HSC counter needs to be enabled also.
the 100PPR will be correct

Thanks to all.. by the way, what is chatter?
Is it better to use all the phases (Phase A, Phase B and Phase C) I'm using E6A2- CW5C omron rotary encoder.

check the encoder model number
it is either NPN or PNP - Also it may need a 'Pull up or down resistor'
by memory the HSC counter needs to be enabled also.
the 100PPR will be correct

The encoder is NPN, again sorry to ask Iant ..Could u pls explain more on this..

"Also it may need a 'Pull up or down resistor'
by memory the HSC counter needs to be enabled also "

Regards

the output needs to go "HIGH" for the PLC input to see it.
this is an open colector device so it needs a resistor on the output tied to the supply voltage (Max. 30Vdc)
this is called a 'PULL-UP Resistor' whatever your supply voltage is the resistor will have a max of 30mA R=V/I

I've change the encoder wiring connection to the PLC, now it's seems to work.

Thanks a lot iant

no worries,
you asked about Frequency
this is Hertz or Cycles per second.
the faster you turn the encoder the faster the pulses are.
but there are limitations to the speed of the INPUT and counter ability.
so it is nesecary to calcultate the Pulses per second -
RPM - rotations per minute./60
search the site as this has been explained many times